This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

There are so many influential women who overcame obstacle after obstacle to help break through glass ceilings everywhere.  Her Campus Emerson has decided to spotlight some of the many influential women who have since passed away. Please take a moment to learn about the incredible women who have inspired our writers!

Isabel Ebel is one of the many unrecognized women of American history. Thanks to her mother who scrapbooked every newspaper clipping, award, and invitation, we have evidence of her trailblazing journey. Unfortunately, most of these articles begin by introducing her physical appearance instead of her academic achievements. The male interviewers compiled a list of recycled adjectives: pretty, petite, curly hair, long-lashed hazel eyes, delicate voice, attractive, dressed in brown, and hair pinned back with wisps of curls framing the face. Seriously. Thankfully, her dignified manner of communicating subtly influenced parts of the newspapers to acurately represent her perspective. My favorite example of this subconscious editing of her portrayal is the article titled “Girl Aero Engineer Amused at News Men’s Incredulity.” The article smugly starts out with the male interviewer’s gaze of Ebel’s body, then retells how she put him in his place for assuming a woman couldn’t be an auronautical engineer. 

Before all of this media attention, Isabel Ebel had to fight the system. She earned her bachelor degree in mathematics from MIT and then set her sights on NYU’s engineering program. She applied five times before they accepted her as their first female student. Hers was a class of 3,000 men. A reporter once asked,”Does it seem strange to be the only woman.. is it ever embarrassing?” To which Ebel replied, “No, indeed, I am here to enjoy my work, and I concentrate on it. I have never been embarrassed because there has been no occasion for it.” Ebel, without trying to do so, created a platform that inspired other women to pursue science and engineering. By the time of her graduation, NYU overall had fifty female students enrolled. Ebel “hopes some day to make a name for herself in this science which is giving man of the twentieth century so many marvels of skill and practical utility.” The fact that her university’s coed ratio went from nonexistent to progressing in numbers after her introduction speaks volumes about the power of women advocating for other women. 

She remained focused on her career goal despite the doubts and critiques of her predominantly male environment. “Yes, they didn’t want me at first. They’re still a bit leery of me. But I think I’ve set the precedent for women in aeronautics. There’s no reason why they shouldn’t prove themselves the equals of men in that field as they have in others, and as they can in all fields, I believe.” And “The men were inclined to kid me when I first came here. Some of them still do. But I don’t mind. All I want is a chance to study engineering on an equal basis with the boys.” She made sure to share this fleeting spotlight with other unrecognized pioneers of her field, “I don’t pretend to be blazing any trail as a girl designer. Katherine Wright, the sister of the Wright brothers, helped to design the world’s first airplane.” This deflection to the contribution of other women is the root of female empowerment. 

Ebel retaliated against the nicknames given to her by reclaiming their ownership, “I know the fact that I’m getting all this attention is because I’m a freak. I wish people wouldn’t take that attitude. Why shouldn’t more women study aeronautical engineering?” One article was even titled, “A Degree Means Little to Isabel Ebel, Seeking to Get Job in Spite of Her ‘Handicap’ as a Woman.” Another supposed “handicap” was her “female brain.” For instance, an interviewer tried to peg her as having a “giggle” that reflected her feminine mentality to which she gracefully shut down and addressed the illegitimacy of like a boss. 

All of this frustration at the public paid off when her talents started taking a favorable spotlight. Despite the majority of doubt among her, Ebel’s professors regarded her as “the original full-fledged woman of the future.” Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of encouragement to perservere. And suceed she did. Isabel Ebel was the first female aeronautical engineer in the United States and quite possibly the world. Her graduating thesis proposed an all-wing, tailless airplane that would allow for more cabin space and could travel up to 190 miles per hour according to wind tunnel tests. When asked if this “honeymoon-worthy plane design” could mean wedding bells for her one day, she responded, “Of course, the right man might come along. But with me it’s love me, love my airplane. If my husband told me to give up my career he wouldn’t be my husband!” Well said, Isabel. 

Another golden source of spirit came from Amelia Earhart. Ebel looked up to her not because of the height difference, but for the mentorship that Earhart offered. When fighting to get into NYU, Ebel reached out to Earhart for advice. Hearing of Ebel’s struggle with the NYU board of admissions, Earhart was “‘incensed’ because New York University’s College of Engineering refused to open its doors to women students, even graduate students, except for night courses.” A close-knit respect bonded the two trailblazers and in 1932 Ebel plotted the transcontinental compass course from Brooklyn to Los Angeles for Earheart’s flight. They continued to support each other throughout their individual careers. 

Ebel later went on to work at an Air Force base in California until her retirement.

After two divorces, she lived happily with her many adopted dogs and cats. “Old cat-lady” was what I remembered when I was young. The older I got, the more information I sought about her this great-aunt of mine. I was frustrated that all of this news was stuck in broken scrapbooks in our basement and not available on the internet. Even though her story had been documented during her lifetime, I felt it was necessary to keep her journey alive in American history. Although I never got to meet her, I am proud to call this tough cookie my family. I’ll end this article with my great-aunt Isabel walking proud like the boss lady she is- enjoy.

Hi there! I'm Maddie, an optimistic Literature student from the Midwest offering her two-cents on dime-worthy topics.
Emerson contributor