Leave it on the Shelf: Books they should never have made into movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

You want to go to the movies this weekend, but you can’t figure out what to see. As you skim the list of options, you see one that is an adaptation of a book you’ve read. Right away, you have some idea of what you’re going to see, what experience you’ll have, what you’re spending your money on. This is the kind of scenario that big movie studios imagine when they adapt a popular book series into film. If the book is a bestseller with a built-in fan base, they’ve already won, right? Not exactly.

For every major book series that became hugely successful movie franchise (The Hunger Games, The Lord of the Rings), there are three more that fizzled after the first take. So what differs between them? Why do some books hit it out of the park on the big screen while others quietly accept their Razzies and fade into obscurity? I have a few examples of movie adaptations that were better left on the bookshelf – and what went wrong.

1. A Series of Unfortunate Events – It was so promising. It starred legends like Jim Carrey and Meryl Streep and emerging talent Emily Browning. It was based on Lemony Snicket’s series of wildly popular children’s books that had depth, humor and whimsy. And while it was not a commercial disappointment, the reviews were unkind at best and the fans unsatisfied. Really though, it had no hope from the start when the filmmakers chose to combine the first three books (The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room and The Wide Window) into one movie, generally the opposite direction you want to go with a movie adaptation. The result was a rushed, detached journey that replaced Snicket’s wry, clever humor with Carrey’s silly, outlandish villainous vamping. BOOK: Snicket finished the 13-book series in 2006 with much fanfare. MOVIE: There is no sequel in the works.
  2. The Golden Compass – Phillip Pullman published the first in the His Dark Materials trilogy in 1995 with Northern Lights (The Golden Compass for North America). The fantasy trilogy has won various awards, including the Carnegie Medal for Children’s Fiction in the UK for 1995. Pullman’s book delved deeply into elements like physics, philosophy and theology, presenting a decidedly negative depiction of religion and churches. The controversy didn’t stop New Line Cinema from an ambitious and highly-promoted adaptation starring big names like Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, and Ian McKellan. Unfortunately, reviews for the 2007 film were mixed at best. The attempt to cram all the complex facets and story lines from the series into one movie was confusing and a boycott from the Catholic church was damaging. Although the film ended up winning and Oscar and a BAFTA for achievement in special effects, the box office returns were disappointing domestically and the film ended up with a paltry 42% on Rotten Tomatoes. BOOK: The final book in the trilogy, “The Amber Spyglass” was released in 2000 to critical acclaim and Pullman has promised upcoming short novels with prequels and short stories from the trilogy. MOVIE: Although it was expected that all three books would be adapted, production on the second book “The Subtle Knife,” was cancelled and there are no further plans for a sequel.
  3. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief – The Percy Jackson and the Olympians book series has sold over 20 million books worldwide and spend 223 weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List. The movie? A 2010 flop by Chris Columbus that didn’t recoup its $95 million budget. It did feature a parade of C-list stars looking to cash in on an epic Greek mythology franchise before Clash of the Titans came out. Reviews were harsh but it’s managed to maintain a score of 41 on Metacritic.com. Out of 100. BOOK: All five books, including a graphic novel and companion guide have been released and are selling in 10 different countries. MOVIE: In a miraculous twist of fate, a tentative sequel is in the works for a 2014 release date.
  4. Eragon – The book by child writing prodigy Christopher Paolini became the third best-selling children’s hardback book in 2003, and was adapted to film in 2006. While Paolini faced criticism about generic storylines that resembled Lord of the Rings and Star Wars before the movie, the critics were ruthless during its release. The effects, particularly the dragon, were cheap and cheesy. A first-time director and a first-time lead actor didn’t help. The supporting talent (Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich) were more experienced, which makes us wonder what bet they lost to be in this movie. The film’s wide international release ended up turning a profit, but Eragon will go down with a 15% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, the tenth-lowest of 2006. BOOK: Paolini has continued to be successful with “Inheritance Cycle” book series that includes Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance. MOVIE: No sequel is in the works.
  5. The Cat in the Hat – The Dr. Seuss classic may be the most quintessential of children books. While other Seuss works (How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Lorax) have succeeded, his magnum opus was a miserable flop when Brian Grazer and Mike Myers took it on. The 2003 film was a long (try adapting a full-length movie from 100 words!), slapsticky, almost downright creepy live-action spectacle that had none of the whimsy or enchantment of the books. Myers, in his disturbing clown-like costume, lowered the book’s wit to sexual innuendo and potty humor. The response was overwhelmingly negative and the film was nominated for 8 Razzies – although in a sad note on humanity, the film was a commercial success. BOOK: the deceased Dr. Seuss is a living legend in children’s books with dozens of accolades under his belt. MOVIE: the negative response to this film as well as the controversy over its mature content convinced Seuss’ widow to not allow any more adaptations of her husband’s work, effectively shelving the sequel. Her ban was lifted for The Lorax, so options are open again for a Cat CGI- animated remake.
Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.