Jane Kang: A Producer in the Making

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As the credits roll after a movie, you see the list of every actor, animal, and special extra featured in the film all before the producers’ names even grace the screen. Producers seem to go unrecognized by most, despite the fact they are the driving force behind a film from beginning to end. Before there is a lead, before there is a final script, you need a producer. Nobody knows the hard work that goes into earning a producer credit better than Jane Kang, a senior Film Production major.

Her partnership with Johan Anderson for their BFA film thesis project actually started 2 years ago when they finished a previous project and Anderson approached her with his idea for the movie Debutants. Debutants is set in Minneapolis in the not too distant future if a second Great Depression were to occur. Although not the most uplifting of settings, the film does have an encouraging message: that humanity is good and will always be there.

For Kang, joining Anderson was an instant yes, “he told me the idea and I was really intrigued…and I am glad that he trusted me with it.” And that is when the work began. Jane says, “it would be a 24/7 thing,” which is not surprising considering the amount of responsibilities she had.

Apart from the tradition producer responsibilities like forming a budget, fundraising, obtaining materials and equipment, scouting locations, assembling a cast and crew, she was a part of the creative process as well. She and Anderson worked very closely together, “Johan really wanted me to be involved with it and he wanted it to be my baby too.”

This relationship goes both ways, as Jane is dedicated to making “sure the project stays true to what it was at the start,” which to her, is the most important role of the producer. The producer has the responsibility of bringing the writer’s thoughts and visions into fruition. She says, “their ideas are priceless and you have to handle them like they are a piece of priceless artwork” and now, after 2 years of planning, shooting, and editing, it’s finally happening.

Debutantsis currently in the post-production stage, which means final edits and defining the story line. Anderson and Kang have about 2 months left of editing before the public will get a chance to see the final cut. And see it they will, plans are already in place for a BFA thesis screening and a showing at the local AMC Lowes on Tremont in late November or early December, but they hope to take the film even further. After completing the LA program next semester and graduation in the Spring, they plan on taking it to film festivals across the country. Jane says this is the most rewarding part, “to know that your hard work is being recognized…and [seeing] people having the reaction you want.”

Although the project is not over, Jane has definitely learned a lot and has a lot to share. For all those aspiring filmmakers, she says, “I know it’s cheesy, but never take no for an answer because there is always another way to do things.” There were many obstacles Debutants ran into, but her passion and dedication to the project has always helped her find alternative situations.

If you want to find out more about Debutants, follow them on Twitter at @debutantsfilm or online at debutantsfilm.com. 

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.