I Saw CATS For The First Time And Here’s What I Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

A little under a month ago, I had the opportunity to go see the broadway musical CATS for the first time.  CATS is truly unlike any other musical I have ever seen.

For those of you who don’t know anything about the CATS musical, let me start there.  The musical is known for having virtually no plot to follow, unlike most musicals. The songs of the musical all focus on a different cat (or in some cases, pairs of cats) who are all trying to be chosen to move into their next life.  While the story doesn’t necessarily flow, each song allows for the cats to spotlight their talents as they move through each of the members of the cast.

Going into the show, I wasn’t really sure what to expect.  I had been told by a ton of people that I would either love the show or hate the show and there would be nothing in between.  But, I was up for the experience nonetheless and I’m glad I had the opportunity to experience it. I got comfy in my seat, and got ready for the ride.

The first song of the play is the “Overture,” as many traditional musicals begin.  Immediately however, the show moved into the next number entitled, Prologue: Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats.  The number is sung by the entire company, and explains the situation that loosely defines the plot of the show.  Once the number is done, the show again moves quickly into the next number, “The Naming of Cats,” which is also sung by the full company, but features the cats Asparagus ad Munkustrap.  The play continues to explain the situation through the next song “The Invitation to the Jellicle Ball,” which features the cats Victoria, Quaxo, Munkustrap along with singing from the entire Company.  This series of songs is completed having explained the basic premise of the show: Each of the cats gathering in the junkyard are going to try to prove why they should be the chosen cat to move onto the next life.  

Act one progresses with the next number, entitled, “The Old Gumbie Cat,” which features singing from cats Jennyanydots, Munkustrap, Bombalurina, Jellylorum, Demeter and the rest of the Company.  This song is followed by “The Rum Tum Tugger,” sung by Rum Tum Tugger, Quaxo, Bombalurina and the Company. The company then sings “Grizabella: The Glamour Cat” which features Grizabella, Demeter, and Bombalurina.  Following that, the Company introduces Bustopher Jones through “Bustopher Jones: The Cat About Town” which features Bustopher, Jennyanydots, Bombalurina, and Jellylorum along with the Company. Next, the cats Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer sing the number entitled the same as their names, with the Company, before Old Deuteronomy is introduced through the number “Old Deuteronomy” sung by Munkustrap, Rum Tum Tugger, Old Deuteronomy, and the Company.  While introducing Old Deuteronomy, the group then moved into the number “The Awefull Battle of The Pekes and the Pollicles” which is sung by cats Munkustrap, Rumpus Cat and the Company before the Company moves into the next number, “The Jellicle Ball.” While at the Jellicle Ball, Grizabella reappears, and Jellylorum and Jemima sing the reprise of “Grizabella: The Glamour Cat.” The first act ends with Grizabella’s performance of “Memory (Prelude).”

After act one was over, I was super confused.  I knew that the little plot that existed was going to be hard to follow, but it was pretty crazy just how much the play jumped around.  I will say, however, that the actors in this performance were phenomenal, and even when sitting on the stage for the entire duration of intermission, they stayed in character.  I can’t imagine it’s easy acting like a cat for two hours multiple times a day while also singing. Definitely not something I could do, so props to those who were super convincing in the role.  Nearing the end of intermission, I was dreading another full act of cats singing where I had no idea what was going on.

After intermission, we jumped back into the show with act two, which starts off with Old Deuteronomy, Jemima, and Company singing “The Moments of Happiness.”  Asparagus and Jellylorum then move into singing “Gus: The Theatre Cat,” followed by Growltiger, Griddlebone, Genghis, The Crew, and the Company singing “Growltiger’s Last Stand,” which includes “The Ballad of Billy M’Caw.”  The company then sings “Skimbleshanks: The Railway Cat” with Skimbleshanks, before the females in the company sing “Macavity: The Mystery Cat” with Demeter and Bombalurina. After this, “Mr. Mistoffelees” is performed by Mr. Mistoffelees, Rum Tum Tugger, and the Company, before Grizabella sings “Memory” with Jemima.  After her performance of “Memory,” *SPOILER ALERT for anyone who doesn’t want to know* Grizabella is chosen to move on to the next life, and the company sings “The Journey to the Heaviside Layer.” Once Grizabella ascends into the stars, the company sings the final piece, “The Ad-Dressing of Cats” with Old Deuteronomy.  And with that, the performance was over!

After the second act, I thought that the “plot” made a lot more sense, so don’t be so quick to judge before watching the entire show! I recommend looking at the show as an introduction to all the cats, rather than as a progressive musical, because it makes the show fit what it is built to do much better!

Overall, I thought it was really interesting that without changing the set, the cast was still able to dynamically communicate each and every aspect of the play.  While I was confused for a good portion of it, the play came together in the end (for me) and I thought that it actually wasn’t half bad. I can see why some people wouldn’t want to see a musical without a plot, but I think that fact that CATS is one of the longest running broadway shows to date means it has to count for something.  If you can get passed the excessive use of the word Jellicle and the lack of plot, I still think CATS is a one-time must see (even if it’s just to say you’ve experienced the madness). And, in case anyone was wondering, yes I will be watching it again when the movie comes out with Taylor Swift as Bombalurina because clearly I have no choice in the matter and my support for her runs far too deep.

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.