How to Survive the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s that time of year again. It’s the time of green colored everything. It’s the time of leprechauns and Irish accents and corned beef and cabbage. It’s St. Patrick’s Day. And in Boston especially, that’s kind of a big deal. On Sunday, South Boston will be hosting the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade, and if you haven’t gone before, I highly suggest you go this year. It’s a Boston staple, and if your studying in Boston, you shouldn’t be caught dead anywhere that’s not “Southie” on Sunday (seriously, where’s your Irish pride?) But it’s an even not for the faint of heart, and can be kind of intense. Okay, so maybe totally intense but totally worth it. Think about all the stories you can tell your friends back home, just imagine the looks on your parent’s faces when you tell them you drank green beer. It’ll be hilarious, trust me. But if you do plan on trekking out to South Boston this Sunday, you should make sure you’re prepared.

1.     Get there early

Whether you’re driving in, walking across town, or taking the totally reliable T, you have to plan to get there early. The parade starts at 1p.m. but people will be there at the first ray of sun. No joke: people get passionate about the St. Patrick’s Day parade. So get up, get your morning coffee, and get over to South Boston to avoid annoying traffic and crowds of stuffed bodies, you’ll get plenty of that later.

2.     Get a good view

This goes hand in hand with the previous step. You don’t want to be stuck in traffic just like you don’t want to get a seat behind the family of Giants. Scope out an area—preferably near a decent bathroom—and make sure you bring chairs.

3.     Wear Appropriate Clothing

The city has been pretty cold this winter—not that any of us could really forget, so it’s important that you dress accordingly. It’s looking like the temps will be in the mid 30’s, which isn’t so bad considering we’ve been living in a perpetual polar cave. The beer will warm you up, but it’s still a good idea to wear layers. Bring gloves and a hat and scarf, you’ll need it for the hours you’ll spend waiting for the parade to start.

4.     Drink green beer

This one is a must. Sure, you’ll probably have already pre-gamed. And sure, you’ll probably already be scarfing down any and all the beer you can get you hands on. (I mean, isn’t that what St. Patrick’s Day is all about?) But the iconic green beer is something that must be tried by all who make it into South Boston for the parade.

5.     Don’t be “that college kid”

Now, St. Patrick’s Day is a day for fun and happiness and yes, booze. But while it’s expected that everyone will be a bit more tipsy than usual, it’s not okay to be “that college kid.” This is not a wild Friday night in Allston—a moment of silence in thanks for that. So keep a count of the number of drinks you’ve had, and for others, the number of joints you’ve smoked. You don’t want to be that one person that gets taken off the streets before the floats even make it to the block.

6.     Have fun

This one is most important. HAVE FUN! It’s a day for celebration! Eat, drink, and wear as much green as you can. St. Patrick’s Day only comes once a year, and you’re in the best city in the country to celebrate it in!

What better way to end the weekend than at a parade full of hundreds of other screaming Bostonians? It’s a party you won’t want to miss, but one you’ll have a hard time enjoying without following this checklist.  Some of the best partying of the year happens this weekend, so live it up!

Emerson contributor