How To Survive a New England Winter from a Native Californian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Before coming to Boston for college, I lived in Los Angeles, California for my whole life. Born and raised. All I knew was the sunshine, the beach, and the dessert. When moving to the East Coast for the first time, I was not prepared for the New England winters I would soon face. Having lived in Boston for a year and a half now, here’s what I’ve learned as someone who grew up with winter days of 65 degrees.

Winter bus standing on the side of the road
Photo by Osman Rona from Unsplash

Actually invest in clothing for cold days! While this may seem obvious, getting yourself a winter coat is a necessity. But let me elaborate: invest in a good winter coat. This doesn’t mean you have to spend an ungodly amount of money on a coat, but make sure the one you get will definitely keep you warm. Always try thrift or consignment stores for good deals, as well as websites like Depop, Poshmark, and Mercari. I also always opt for an alternative down coat, rather than a regular down coat, so that way I know it’s vegan! Also, a hood is a must on your winter coat!

Layer up! Another tip that is also quite obvious, but I believe needs to be reiterated, is to always layer up. This is so, so important. Leggings under pants. A tight-knit turtleneck under sweaters and shirts. Scarves, thick socks, and beanies. While it is a lot of layers and can be quite annoying to go through all the motions of putting these layers on, it’s worth it everytime. I always regret not layering when I know I need to. Always, always layer!

Always carry an umbrella! I cannot even fathom the amount of times I have been minding my own business in the city of Boston and it starts raining out of nowhere. As someone who spends a lot of time on their hair and makeup almost everyday, I am extra annoyed when it starts to unexpectedly rain. Thus, I’ve learned to always carry an umbrella with me. 

Get yourself a space heater! Something I did this winter was get myself a cheap, little space heater off of Amazon. To be fair, the heat in my apartment wasn’t working and Boston was hit with a nor’easter, so some sort of heater was necessary, but I’ve used it plenty since! The extra heat just makes everything feel a little more cozy.

Think about getting an electric blanket! If you get particularly cold at night, or like me, sleep next to a window with a draft, you might want to think about getting an electric blanket. For really cold days, this is such a nice thing to have. Getting curled up on the couch or falling asleep under a really warm blanket is an amazing feeling and, of course, helps you stay warm.

Whether you’re moving to New England or simply visiting during the winter months, I hope these tips are helpful and put to good use. For the record, I’ve tried the whole “I’m not going to dress properly for the cold so that way I get used to it” thing, and it does not work. 

Seren Cho is a sophomore Media Arts Production major at Emerson College. Having grown up in the suburbs of Los Angeles, Seren is excited to start telling stories in the city of Boston. Be warned: Seren is a nerd through and through, and is most definitely not afraid to show it.
Emerson contributor