books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How to Survive Finals Week, As Told By a Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s that time again – finals. Between exams, group presentations and papers, how do we find time to rest and unwind? Unfortunately, resting and unwinding is all seniors want to do. For me personally, I’m totally split – 50% of me wants to study hard and focus intensely on my work. But, the other 50% of me wants to lay in bed and watch Netflix all day everyday. Here are some ways to get through finals week, as told by a senior, for seniors.

Write in your planner

Planners are great – they keep you organized and on track. I love my planner because everyday I write down what needs to be done and when everything is due. Your planner will tell you where you need to be and when, when your tests and papers are due and any extra activities you are doing. It’s comforting to have everything down in one place. Plus, the more organized your planner is, the more organized your brain is.

Fight senioritis… for two weeks

Senioritis is a real struggle. Seniors think, “Hey, I’ve made it this far! It’s time to sit back and relax, all the hard stuff is done.” Having senioritis will majorly slow you down during finals. For just the week of finals, and the week before (for studying), try your hardest to kick senioritis in the butt and stay engaged. It’s just two weeks!

Make a schedule

And stick to the schedule! Don’t just draw a schedule out and push it to the side. Make a schedule, like: “Monday, study Biology 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, lunch, study English Literature 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm.” By making a schedule with hours, you’re more likely to stick to it.

Sleep!!!

This is for everyone – SLEEP!!! Sleeping and having your mind and body be well-rested is the best thing for you during finals. If you pull all-nighters or study too hard and fry your brain, it will only come back to bite you. By sleeping at least eight hours every night, you’re doing your body and your mind a favor.

Take breaks

After about two hours of studying, your brain will start to slow down. You need to take breaks. After about an hour of studying, take a five or 10-minute break – go for a walk around the block to stretch your legs, call your parents to check in or have a snack. This way, your brain won’t burn out.

Finals are not fun for anyone; it’s a time of high stress and high anxiety. With two finals weeks per year (fall and spring semester), this is currently my seventh finals period, and let me tell you, my brain is hurting already. Students procrastinate and dread the week to come. Everyone knows we’re not ourselves during finals week – we’re the worst versions of ourselves. Try these tips to get yourself through finals, one day at a time.

Emerson contributor