Style > Beauty

How to Steal High End Beauty Products Effectively

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Try to remember how much you paid for that new blush at Nordstrom. What if I told you that there is an exact duplicate of it at your local drugstore? Don’t get me wrong there are several products that you should splurge on, but if there is an almost or exact dupe for the same product there’s no need to spend the money. Here are some more affordable duplicates of many cult favorite beauty products out on the market today.

Cult Product: NARS Blush in Orgasm 

Dupe: Wet n Wild Color Icon Blusher in 831E Pearlescent Pink 

Similarities: Both blush have a peachy-pink color with golden shimmer, and are extremely pigmented as well as long lasting. What more could you ask for in a blush? Differences: The NARS Blush has more gold shimmer and needs to be blended more than the Wet n Wild for a natural looking effect. Also, the NARS blush will cost you $28 whereas the Wet n Wild blush costs only three dollars.

Tips on how to wear them: Apply these blushes to your cheekbones. Avoid applying these colors on the apples of your cheeks or close to your nose as they can cause your skin to look more ruddy than glowing.

Where to find them: NARS blush (Sephora or department stores); Wet n Wild blusher (CVS)

Cult Product: Yves Saint Laurent Touch Eclat Radiant Touch 

Dupe: Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer Radiant

Similarities: Both products brighten the under-eye area, hide dark shadows and have a gel based formula. The product in each of the pens dispenses from a soft brush tip applicator. Differences: There is a slight shimmer in the YSL product. However, the YSL product has a larger range of skin-tones available than the Maybelline. Also there is a major difference in price. The YSL highlighting pen is $40 where as the Maybelline pen is $7.99.

Tips on how to wear them: The great thing about these products is that they are multi-functional. Don’t just apply these to under the eyes, apply them down the nose and across the tops of the cheekbones for a refreshed and lifted appearance.

Where to find them: YSL highlighting pen (Sephora or department stores); Maybelline (CVS)

Cult Product: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

Dupe: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup

Similarities: These liquid foundations are both gel-based formulas that provide a sheer to medium coverage depending on how the product is applied. Both products come with a broad range of colors to choose from. These two foundations leave the skin with a dewy, satin finish and are suited for normal to dry skin types.

Differences: The NARS foundation runs for $42 where as the Neutrogena foundation will cost you around $13. Also, the Neutrogena foundation comes with SPF 20.

Tips on how to wear them: Use your fingers or a buffing brush to apply these products as they tend to streak with a normal foundation brush. Also, make sure to set these foundations with a powder so they last all day.

Where to find them: NARS foundation (Sephora or department stores); Neutrogena foundation

Cult Product: MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Microfinish Powder

Dupe: e.l.f. Studio High Definition Powder

Similarities: These two powders are both finely milled translucent powders that are used to create a soft-focus effect on the skin by masking fine lines and pores.

Differences: The MAKE UP FOREVER powder is made out of 100 percent silica powder so beware using this when taking pictures. The flash will white out your face. The e.l.f powder has slightly less silica powder in it, so it will come across less harsh during picture taking. Also, the pricing is drastically different between the two products. The MUFE powder will cost you $30 whereas the e.l.f powder is only six dollars.

Tips on how to wear them: Don’t throw away that powder puff just yet! Using your index finger to fold the puff in half like a hotdog, roll the puff into the powder, tap off the excess and apply. Voila, your pores have disappeared.

Where to find them: MAKE UP FOR EVER powder (Sephora); e.l.f. powder (eyeslipsface.com)

Emily is currently a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College with a minor in Marketing. Being from southern wild, Emily is still can't get over this North Eastern weather. As a lover of literature, magazines, and publishing, Emily hopes for a future in magazine editing. Emily is currently social media analyst for Emerson's Fashion Society, a fiction anaylst for Gauge Magazine, and a writer for HerCampus Emerson. Follow her at @emlymc712.
Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.