How to Stay Entertained Indoors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

There have been countless snow days, and exciting as they were at the beginning, we’re starting to get bored staying inside all day. The snow is pretty and all, and not having class can be fun at first, but after a while it can turn into a monotonous routine of napping and binge-watching television. Have no fear, collegiettes! This handy list will help you even in the snowiest of times. 

1. Read a book

It’s hard to find time for pleasure reading when you’re caught up in schoolwork and all the readings you have for class. But reading is therapeutic and a good way to pass the time! With a library close by, there really is no excuse not to have a good book in your hands!

2. Exercise

Being forced to stay inside is the perfect time for exercise. Roll out the yoga mat and work on your core and muscles. Even if you’re just in a dorm room, you should have enough room on the floor to do some basic exercises, and it’s easy to find workouts online!

3. Cook

If you have the means to, cooking is a great way to spend your time! Cook with or for your friends, and you have a lovely meal. Especially if it’s too snowy to step outside and get pre-made food, cooking is the perfect activity.

4. Build a fort

It may sound silly and childish, but building a fort can actually be a ton of fun, especially if you get friends to join you. Once your fort is built, you can do activities inside the fort, so not only do you get to build it, but it also serves a purpose afterward!

5. Paint your nails

If you’ve got the time, why not? Pamper yourself! Take your time and do a nice design on your nails, give yourself a French manicure and oil your cuticles! If there’s nothing else to do on a snowy day, making yourself even more beautiful than you already are is a great way to spend it. 

6. Collage

Collaging can be a ton of fun, especially if you have a bunch of old magazines. Bust them out and grab your scissors to create a funky art project. Use any type of old material and pictures to do this project! 

7. Write or draw

What better way to spend your time than with a creative outlet? If writing and/or drawing are things you’re interested in at all, it can be a great way to spend the day. Not only that, but it can become something you actually work with – writing pieces can be submitted to publications, as can drawings, as well as make a great gift for someone!

If snow just isn’t your thing anymore, but you still can’t go outside, there are plenty of things to do inside! Try anything from this list, and enjoy your day!

Emerson contributor