Style > Beauty

How to Save a Ton of Money on Beauty Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Any college beauty guru knows just how expensive beauty products can be. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to save money on your beauty habit. Here are a few tips!

1. Join store clubs

Whether you purchase your makeup from a beauty retailer or a drug store, be sure to check for club sign-ups and discount cards. Sephora and Ulta both offer a free birthday gift and tons of rewards for their members! CVS gives out “Extra Bucks” as a reward for shopping with them, and their rewards of $5 or more really add up in the beauty aisle!

2. Check for coupons

Ulta consistently has coupon codes on their site and in their catalogs for $3 off of $10; that’s a huge discount on a single product like a tube of lipstick or a nail polish. It’s always worth checking your favorite coupon sites and beauty retailers for new coupons!

3. Sign up for beauty boxes

It may seem counterintuitive to buy something to save money, but beauty boxes are an inexpensive way to try a wide range of products without investing in full-size, high end items. Try Birchbox for five varied samples each month, packaged in a lovely box, or Ipsy, which comes with more full-sized items and a new make-up bag! Both are only $10 a month and a great way to find some new faves!

4. Buy only where it counts

Who says you have to buy only high-end beauty products? For items like skin care and foundation, it can be beneficial to invest in products that are really good for your skin. However, for items like mascara, eyeliner or lipstick, drugstore brands can work really well! e.l.f. is a personal favorite; most of their products are under $10, and the quality is great for the price!

5. Improvise

You don’t need fancy tools to be a make-up maven; those teeny brushes that come in the make-up pallets, some q-tips and your fingertips are all a girl really needs! Sure, nothing beats a nice brush set, but a girl has to do what a girl has to do. Figure out what tips and tricks you can use to up your makeup game at any budget, whether it’s adding water to your blush to make it creamier, adding Vaseline to some dry lipstick or laying on the bargain eyeshadow extra thick.

6. Fix old favorites

It’s getting to be that time of the semester; all of your products are almost empty, your eyeshadow palette shattered last week and you definitely can’t afford to go buy replacements. Luckily, there are a few tricks to revamp your old products! Try adding rubbing alcohol to an almost empty blush pallet and letting it dry overnight to make the most of your remaining product. If you break your lipstick, melt the broken end with a lighter (carefully!) and press it back into place. There are many more tricks online you can search for depending on your needs!

Even if you don’t have Kate Upton’s beauty budget, you can still contour your way into amazing cheekbones—coupon in hand! 

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor