How to Put Together the Perfect Christmas Day Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Picking out your outfit for your Christmas Day festivities can sometimes be a bit complicated. Do you choose to be comfortable so you can eat all the delicious treats, do you dress up in your fanciest attire or do you go somewhere in the middle? While there is not one specific answer to this question, there are still steps you can take to put together that perfectly festive, yet fashionable, look.

1. Consider where you are going

The dress code for Christmas parties can vary extremely. I know in my family, we dress relatively casual for our Christmas parties. Jeans are not an uncommon look in my household on Christmas Day. Yet, my boyfriend’s family tends to be a bit more formal. Before you pick out your outfit for Christmas, consider where you will be spending the day. Look at how the attendants dressed in prior years or ask the person who invited you what the dress code is.

2. Keep it simple and classy

There have been too many occasions where I have seen some horrendous holiday outfits. Unless you are going to an ugly sweater party, I wouldn’t recommend wearing your favorite ugly sweater. When picking out your outfit, keep it basic. A classic red top with black pants and some cute flats or heels is always a safe option.

3. Spice it up with accessories 

Just because wearing an ugly sweater may not be the best option for your sophisticated holiday party does not mean that you cannot be festive. There are plenty of cute options for jewelry that will help you get in the Christmas spirit. Try some Santa earrings, a Christmas themed scarf or maybe a fun Christmas light bracelet.

4. Wear red!

If it is a Christmas party that you are attending, then wearing red is a must. This does not mean that you have to cover your body from top to bottom in the color. Wear a red shirt or even just a touch of the color in a scarf or even your shoes.

Emerson contributor