This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter is coming. Seriously. If you weren’t in Boston for the winter that was 2015, then you might need a little help preparing for the winter to come. The Farmer’s Almanac said it’s going to be just as bad as the last! Here are some ways to stay warm in Boston this winter.

Buy a winter jacket

A real one, not one of those thin ones that are meant to be fashionable, but not keep you warm. You’re in New England now, so just face the fact that warmth trumps fashion. A peacoat is always a good choice, but in Boston we like those that cover every inch of our body so we don’t get frostbite. Check out The North Face, Patagonia, or L.L. Bean – the official supplier of the U.S. Ski Team.

Weatherproof boots

Who wants to trudge through the snow to class with soaking wet, salt-stained boots? No one. Going to an internship? Pack your office shoes and wear your snow boots to work. No one will judge you, I promise. We all do it. Order you boots soon, otherwise the ones you want may be on backorder for months. The best boots are L.L.Bean’s Bean Boots, hands down. The thinsulated ones will keep your toes warm! Buy lots of fuzzy socks too.

Accessorize

Gloves and earmuffs are a must in the freezing temperatures. Unless you want to spend the first hour of class thawing your hands and ears, definitely go buy some to keep you warm! Big fuzzy scarves are a plus, you’ll look cute even if no one can see your face.

Even if you end up looking like a big marshmallow all winter, you’ll be warm and won’t freeze on your way to class. Make sure to follow these tips to survive Boston’s winter!

Katelyn is a senior studying Marketing Communications and Journalism at Emerson College. She is involved with various marketing groups on campus and hopes to work in the entertainment or sports marketing industry. She spent a semester in Valencia, Spain and can be found at a Red Sox or Bruins game more often than not. You can find Katelyn on Twitter at @katelyngearan or @katelyn_gearan.
Emerson contributor