Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to make your relationship continue to survive the pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We will never know why I decided to start dating right as the pandemic was starting. I did the pandemic dating, the breakup, the apps, and the dating again. It is exhausting, especially since there appears to be a pandemic mindset where we are all just getting by, and everyone is depressed and burned out, which is the new normal. These are not exactly great states of mind to be growing a relationship in. You want to feel hopeful and close to someone, yet we can’t even be within six feet of others. This makes any relationship harder, dating especially, since there is a lack of connection right now. 

But things are not hopeless. Many people are still together, or are just finding love. Just because we are in a pandemic does not mean that everything that involves connection cannot happen. It just takes work and understanding. 

Communication and honesty are key

In non-pandemic times, this would be true, but this is even more true now. The pandemic has increased stress, anxiety, and depression, and has changed the way couples can even see each other in person, so honest communication is important. Speak about your feelings and problems when you see them, and you will grow closer rather than more distanced. 

Make time for each other

When you are perhaps not seeing each other in person as much as before, it can be easy to think that texting will make up for it, or that it doesn’t matter. It does. This is a big change and can pull a couple apart. Make time to see each other if it is safe, even when this was not needed before, or use FaceTime or Zoom.

Take advantage of virtual avenues

Zoom and FaceTime have soared in popularity during this time since people cannot see each other face to face. Take advantage of these platforms. Texting is not the same, and we all know no one talks on the phone. If you cannot be together in person, at least talk while looking at each other. Take each other along with you on your day, cook together, or even take naps—technology is on your side.

Seek help for mental health

Do not sacrifice your safety or the safety of others

More people are dying than ever. The pandemic does not care that you are in “love.” It does not care that you “haven’t seen your partner in ages.” Take the safety of the public and yourselves into account when seeing your partner or planning outings. It is better to be safe than sorry. 

We are all in this pandemic together and dealing with different things, some having it harder than others. We have a responsibility to think of other people rather than just ourselves, which comes in handy in a healthy relationship, as well as healing the world.

Olivia is a senior Creative Writing Major from New Hampshire. She loves to ice skate, write novels, and bake, as well as spend time with her elderly rabbit, who is the true star of the show.