How to Make Your Photos Instagram Ready

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We are not fashion bloggers. We are not professional photographers. We might think we are, but we’re not. Every once in a while, we come across that special moment that is perfect for Instagram. But how do you capture a photo to make it look its best for everyone’s favorite photo sharing app? Here are a few tips and tricks to make your photos look like a pro’s!

1. Use the “square” photo setting

Do not get your photo ruined by Instagram’s cropping by taking it on the default “photo” setting. Above the “shutter” button on your phone, it lists different settings that you can take your photo under. Just shift to square and voila! No need to worry about someone’s head getting chopped during the Insta crop.

2. White backgrounds work the best

They look clean and bring the focus to whatever subject you’re photographing. So whether it’s your new favorite sunglasses or the great new book that you’re currently reading, be sure to let it pop against a solid white background!

3. Don’t be afraid to arrange things

Okay, we know that half the bloggers we follow don’t just happen to dump the contents of their bag or wardrobe in such an artful way. It may look totally fake, but totally appealing. So don’t be afraid to arrange your food oh so carefully when taking a photo from Instagram. There’s something crisp, clean and, well, cool about those shots, however posed they may be.

4. Explore other apps

There are a number of camera and photo apps out there to help you make your Instas better. Apps like PicStitch allow you to make and upload collages, while others like VSCO Cam are camera apps that help you take better photos. You can find even more while browsing the app store as well!

5. Zoom out

The best photos that every blogger has mastered are the ones that show several items from a bird’s eye view. Mix it up with the occasional close-up, but the classic taken from above shot is a sure crowd pleaser.

We know you’ve got the content down pat (selfies, shoes and the occasional food shot), but now with these tips, you’re ready to conquer the Insta-world!

Erin is a junior at Emerson College studying journalism, publishing, and writing. She comes from southeastern Massachusetts and enjoys reading magazines, getting hooked on new TV shows, traveling, and spending time with her dog. Erin hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing. You can follow her on Twitter at @erin_kayata.
Emerson contributor