How To Make The Most Of Your Leftover Halloween Candy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Halloween has passed, leaving all of us collegiettes (or at least the ones who still take advantage of Beacon Hill trick or treating) with a big bowl of extra candy from the weekend’s festivities. While I love how easy grabbing a Reese’s curbs my chocolate craving, I eventually get bored with eating candy. Shocking right?

Instead of throwing away the excess fun-size bars you collected, try repurposing them into something more creative for you and your friends (if you’re feeling generous) to enjoy!

1. Create An Advent Calendar

This is a super easy and cute way to countdown to Thanksgiving break and to make sure you’re not binging on all of your chocolate in one afternoon. All you need are paper cups, tissue paper, a big piece of cardboard (decorated with fun wrapping paper if you’re feeling extra crafty), glue, and a sharpie. The basic idea is to put a piece of candy in each cup, cover the cups with numbered squares of tissue paper, and glue them to the board, creating a calendar. Head on over here for in depth instructions and decoration ideas!

2. Make A Healthy Snack Mix

Sweet and salty is one of my favorite flavor combinations, so leftover candy creates the perfect opportunity to mix and match and make new recipes that satisfy that craving. You can easily combine your chocolates with other basic snack foods to create your own custom trail mix. If you’re not feeling inspired by your own pantry, try this recipe for a loaded salty sweet snack using Pretzel Crisps!

Loaded Pretzel Crisps Candies

-Original Pretzel Crisps-Chocolate, white chocolate and/or soft caramels-Halloween sprinklesMiscellaneous Halloween candy

1. Melt chocolate by placing heat safe bowls in a deep sauce pan filled with water. Heat on low.
  2. Melt caramel and chocolate according to package directions.
  3. Select your candy, sprinkles and chips.
  4. Dip Pretzel Crisps into chocolate or caramel and tap off excess. Use a fork to lift Pretzel Crisps from dipping.
  5. Sprinkle on selected toppings and let cool on wax paper.

3. Make A Piñata

Feeling crafty? Follow these instructions and throw your friends an end of the semester party! Nothing helps me de-stress more than swinging a baseball bat and being rewarded with candy…

4. Create Care Packages

With the holidays right around the corner, I’ve been bitten by the giving bug. Grab some cute fabric squares, fill them with candy, and fasten them into a pouch. Write out nice little notes that promote paying it forward or wishing a happy holiday season. Give out these picturesque care packages to people in need or who just look like they might enjoy a pick me up. Random acts of kindness are great ways to make new friends or just to make yourself feel good about what you’re doing.

Ameara Harb is currently a senior at Emerson College, pursuing a degree in Marketing Communications. She interns on the Restaurant, Travel, and Hospitality PR team at Marlo Marketing/Communications, and loves being CC for Her Campus's Emerson branch. She's a Disney fanatic, diehard Bruins fan, and can never turn down pizza.