How to Keep in Touch With College Friends Over the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Summer is only a few weeks away, which means jobs or internships, sun, and leaving college behind for a few months. Let’s face it, we won’t miss the classes or the homework, but we’ll definitely miss our college friends. Even though it’s hard to leave the people who you are constantly with at school, it might be harder than you think to keep in touch with your school friends for these summer months. Follow these tips on how to stay in touch with your college friends when you go home for the summer!

Plan a trip

Summer trips are always fun! This could be a road trip, a group trip to a planned location, or a visit to a friend’s house. Make an effort to see each other! You don’t have to only see your home friends during the summer. A weekend getaway with your college friends may be exactly what you need in the middle of the summer.

Have a group text

This is great if you have a close group of friends at school. Group texts are easy to keep track of and great for keeping each other updated on the regular. Try and text the group once a week, even if it’s just a quick brief on how your week was. Group texts are also great because it saves you time from sending multiple text messages to multiple people about the same thing. Also, they’re great for sharing pictures or videos you’ve taken on your summer adventures!

Stay connected

Even though this seems super obvious, it’s easy to forget to text or call someone. Even if it’s Skyping every other week or a weekly phone call, it’s important to stay connected with your friends. You and your friends can make a Facebook group so you all can talk and keep each other updated.

Send letters

Send your friends postcards! This is totally fun and old school. Have you and your friends send each other cute postcards every other week with inside jokes or funny quick stories written on them. Everyone loves getting mail.

Keeping in touch with college friends over the summer will also make the transition back to school in the fall easier. Though keeping in touch is pretty easy, you have to put in effort—don’t expect your friends to put in all the work! Reaching out to your friends throughout the warm months will be totally worth it.

Emerson contributor