How to Get in Touch with Your Creative Side

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Maybe you’ve gone to a protest, or maybe you have written a letter to a senator. Possibly both. These are incredible and valuable contributions to society and to making a change. Another way to make a change and to make an opportunity for your voice to be heard is to get in touch with your creative side. Even if you do not consider yourself to be a creative person, you may surprise yourself if you try some of these suggestions.

1. Draw

Even if you’re not the best artist, a good first step towards creativity is drawing. An article in The Atlantic even states that casually drawing can help with thinking and forming ideas. You may discover a hidden talent, or you may simply discover that drawing helps you clear your mind.

2. Take a picture

Drawing isn’t your thing? OK, so grab your camera (or your phone!). There are so many ways to take a picture; you can try different angles, you can zoom in, you can take a picture from far away. When you’re done, you can edit your photos however you like. They may even turn out to look completely different.

3. Read a book

According to Literacy Works, reading improves a person’s imagination, and if your imagination is improving, then you are more likely to create. I have been an avid reader ever since I was little, and without my love of reading I may not have loved writing as much as I do now.

4. Listen to music

Perhaps one of your favorite songs brings a color scheme to mind, or perhaps a scene. Like reading, music is known to stimulate the brain, and you just might be able to turn a song into a drawing or a story.

5. Talk to friends and family

Talking to your friends and family members is always a good way to relieve stress and to generate ideas, which can help spark some creativity. And––you never know––maybe someone will inspire a character, or remind you of a childhood memory that would make a good story.

Now, I leave it up to you. Try one of these suggestions or all of them––creativity will definitely come your way, and you will definitely make your voice heard.

Charlotty Herman is a freshman journalism student at Emerson College. She was an editor on her high school's yearbook staff and over the summer, she had an internship with the Reboot Fellows. As well as journalism, she is passionate about the Spanish language, which she has been taking for seven years now. She loves Boston, and when not in class, she enjoys creative writing, fashion, and drinking coffee.
Emerson contributor