This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Welp, pandemic or not, students all over the US are gearing up for finals. If you need a little help focusing while you study here are some tips!

1. Cut the distractions!

Trust me, there’s nothing I’d rather do than give up on all my work and disappear into a pit of Netflix or TikTok. But when distractions are harder to reach, studying becomes a lot easier. If you’re having trouble avoiding your phone, I highly recommend the app Forest. You can set a timer of how long you want to stay off your phone and the app starts growing a tree. If you use your phone before the timer’s up, the tree dies, but if you make it all the way, you get to add it to your garden.

1. Try some music!

Everyone has a different tolerance for noise while studying. Everyone’s different but here are some genres that are known for improving focus. Try them out and see what works for you!

• Classical music

• Instrumental soundtracks

• Foreign music

• Lofi instrumentals

1. Don’t forget to fuel!

It can be really hard to focus when you’re running on empty. Make sure you remember to eat at least three meals a day and include some healthy food and protein to fuel your brain and keep you from burning out.

1. Keep work and breaks separate!

The same way you want to avoid distractions while studying, try to put your schoolwork out of your mind when you’re taking intentional breaks. The more you can draw a line between break time and study time, the easier it’ll be to focus when you want to.

1. Try a new environment!

This one may be a little hard during COVID times, but if any libraries or coffee houses are open near you, try changing up your scenery so you’re not tempted by your bed or other distractions in your space.

You got this! Keep on keeping on and best of luck with your finals!

Grace is a sophomore Business of Creative Enterprises student at Emerson College from New York and North Carolina. She’s passionate about theatre, television, writing, and fried chicken.
Emerson contributor