How to Eat Healthy with a Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Before college, I had definitely heard of the “Freshman Fifteen.” It was the elusive weight gain that freshmen experienced due to the “all you can eat” style dining hall and the fact that their mothers were no longer forcing them to eat their vegetables. With no one stopping you, why not eat chicken tenders, fries, a pizza and two cones of ice cream? After all, shouldn’t we be trying to get our money’s worth?

But while I had heard of the weight gain, I didn’t realize just how real it was until I made my way to Emerson. And I realized that the reason it was such a struggle to avoid had to do less with the fact that I couldn’t control myself and more to do with the lack of healthy options available. Everything seemed to be fried and covered with cheese or butter or too much oil, whether it be the dining hall or any other eatery on campus. Finding ways to eat healthy was a legitimate challenge. But with a lot of effort, it can be done. Here’s how.

1. Opt for the Dining Hall for breakfast instead of Einstein’s

Probably the biggest mistake of my first semester in regards to my diet was getting into the habit of having a bagel with cream cheese before class. Instead, since the beginning of second semester, I have done everything in my power to wake up earlier before class and make my way to the dining hall. The number of options available for breakfast at Emerson’s dining hall made me feel a whole lot better than simply asking for low fat cream cheese instead of regular with my bagel at Einstein’s. I could have some non-sugary cereal (if my appetite wasn’t great). I could also have some wheat toast with fruit since the fruit selection usually was better in the morning. Or, if I was really ambitious, I could take a trip to the omelet bar and load up on protein and veggies that would keep me full for longer and help me avoid a large mid-morning snack.

2. Avoid fried and greasy foods

Everywhere I turned in the Emerson dining hall or at any of the other Emerson food locations, I seemed to be faced with yet another type of greasy or fried food. Chicken fingers and French fries are always readily available and each dining option boasts their own type of pizza. The easiness and quickness of this food leads many students to opt for them as opposed to a healthier, but more time consuming, option. But to avoid the weight, it is important to minimize our consumption of these foods. Go for the grilled chicken sandwich (and if you are feeling really healthy get rid of the bun) or maybe a chicken caesar wrap. Anything grilled is going to be much better than a fried option.

3. Try the Vegan Station at the Dining Hall

The vegan station at the dining hall is an underutilized option for many Emersonians. It is perfect option if you are looking to eat healthy but are extra hungry. The portions are huge! You can easily get a large amount of vegetables and even some protein depending on the selections you make. And if you are that much of a meat eater that you cannot go a meal without it, ask the people at the grill to heat up some grilled chicken and throw it in your bowl after it is cooked.

As hard as it seems to eat healthy on a meal plan, it is still possible with a little determination. So put down those French fries and opt for some fresh veggies instead.

Emerson contributor