How to Decorate Your Dorm for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s finally here! The long awaited holiday season is upon us. The streets are decorated, the tree is lit and all is merry and bright in Boston. Sure, you’re looking forward to going home for the break, but you also have a home right here––your dorm. Here are some suggestions for decorating your room for the holidays.

Lights

If you don’t already have holiday lights in your room as year-round decorations, you might want to buy some. Even if you do, I would suggest buying the traditional multicolored holiday lights. If that’s not your thing, then buy white lights and create a snowy theme in your room with other sparkly white accessories.

A Tree

No matter what you celebrate, nothing says the holidays like a (fake) evergreen tree. Although this is often associated with Christmas, it was adopted from a secular tradition, so you don’t have to celebrate this holiday to enjoy this festive tradition. I’d suggest buying a smaller artificial tree, because the larger ones may be expensive and probably won’t fit in your dorm. If you’re going for a more realistic look, don’t worry! Most artificial trees these days look pretty realistic, as long as they are green. But if you want a whimsical or sparkly look, I’d suggest going for a silver, white or gold tree.

Tinsel

What’s the holiday season without a little sparkle? Tinsel is not hard to find during this time of year, and it’s not hard to decorate with. Just grab some and hang it in your room, or just throw it on your desk. It’s easy to use and very distinctive. Depending on the color scheme you’re going for, you can use the traditional red and green, silver or any other color you wish. It’s a sure sign of the season, so whatever you choose, it’ll work.

Charlotty Herman is a freshman journalism student at Emerson College. She was an editor on her high school's yearbook staff and over the summer, she had an internship with the Reboot Fellows. As well as journalism, she is passionate about the Spanish language, which she has been taking for seven years now. She loves Boston, and when not in class, she enjoys creative writing, fashion, and drinking coffee.
Emerson contributor