This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Whether you’re lactose intolerant, plunging into veganism, or just really despise dairy, you may be looking to find an alternative. You may also be struggling to choose between the endless assortment of non-dairy milks. When I went vegan two years ago I had to face the same decision (not that it’s permanent) but I will say that if you were/are an avid dairy milk drinker (I was) then it’ll take a container or so of your chosen non-dairy milk before you acquire a taste for it. When I first tried soy milk it wasn’t my cup of tea, but now I drink it like it adds a year to my life with every glass. I also have to say the brand you choose makes a HUGE difference. If you’ve only had one kind of non-dairy milk from one brand and didn’t like it, chances are more likely that it’s the brand and not you. Give something else a try! I tend to prefer organic, but cheap brands versus mainstream brands like Almond Breeze and Silk. (I actually think Silk is the worst but that’s just me).

I’m going to compile a list of as many dairy-free milks as I can, talk about nutrition, pricing and brands I suggest trying as well as where to buy them. I totally get the “I only live near a Star Market and a Trader Joe’s and every store happens to offer different brands.”

No worries, I’ll list a variety of stores.

Also, most dairy-free milks have the same vitamins/minerals like vitamins A, D, B12, and calcium, so I’ll only note impressionable differences. They have no cholesterol, around 100 mg of salt, and fat content is 2-4 grams.

P.S. most nut milks have unsweetened, original, sweetened and vanilla, and sometimes chocolate! When I go over nutrition I will be looking at original flavors.

P.P.S. I’m trying to keep the range of prices broad per store, but it’s going to vary per region so make sure to check your nearby store.

We’ll start with the most popular, but also my least favorite. Hehe sorry.

Almond milk

Pros: avg. 60 cals a serving, lots of vitamin E and calcium, most people like the taste, 5-7 grams of sugar

Cons: only 1 gram of protein, it takes A LOT of water to produce, plus I could get into a whole thing about the bees, but I won’t. In short: it’s not so great for the environment.

Almond Breeze

Stores: Target, Whole Foods, Star Market, Walmart, Stop & Shop

Price: $3.49-$3.79

Organic? No

Califia

Stores: Target, Whole Foods, Star Market, Walmart

Price: $4-$4.99

Organic? No.

Elmhurst**

**Interestingly enough this brand is by far the most natural (has basically just water, sugar and almonds for ingredients) BUT is 150 cals per serving and 5 grams of protein! I’m assuming it’s because it’s not as diluted as other brands, if you’ve ever checked a bag of almonds, they naturally have a good amount of protein so it’s always surprised me how little most almond milks have. I guess Elmhurst is different, but also a little pricier.

Stores: Star Market, Walmart, Target, Stop & Shop, Market Basket, Bristol Farms, Amazon, elmhurst1925.com

Price: $4.50-$6.25

Organic? No.

O Organics and 365 Brands

These both deserve a mention because I drank them on the regular for ages (the brands, not almond milk) but they’re both store brands, the former of Star Market and the latter of Whole Foods. They’ll likely be the cheapest in the store, but I think they’re great quality for the price.

Star Market member price: $2.39 (seriously if you frequent Star Market get their free app and clip those coupons)

Whole Foods price: $2-$3

Organic? Yes.

Cashew milk

Pros: 40-60 cals, 2 grams of sugar, full of magnesium and potassium

Cons: no fiber, 1 gram protein, a little harder to find

**again Elmhurst Cashew milk has different nutrition facts. 4 grams of protein, 130 cals a servings

Forager

Stores: Whole Foods, Star Market, Stop & Shop, Market Basket, Rite Aid

Price: $6

Organic? Yes.

So Delicious

Stores: Whole Foods, Stop and Shop, Walmart, Star Market, Market Basket

Price: $2.50-$3.50

Organic? No.

Elmhurst

Stores: Whole Foods, Star Market, Walmart, Market Basket, Amazon, elmhurst1925.com

Price: $6

Organic? No.

Flax Milk

Pros: 50-60 cals a serving, Omega-3 (sooo good for you), nut-free if you have allergies, no sugar

Cons: no protein, (Good Karma has a plus protein option with 8 grams of pea protein) also Good Karma is virtually the only brand of flax milk

Good Karma

Stores: Whole Foods, Star Market, Target, Walmart, Safeway

Price: $3-$ 4.50

Organic? No.

Note: the chocolate flax milk is goooodddd.

Soy Milk

Pros: 90-100 cals a serving (I’m not counting it as a con because of->) 7-9 grams of protein, some fiber

Cons: 6 grams of sugar, high cals if the protein doesn’t make up for it for you, pretty plain in terms of taste but there are sweetened and vanilla flavors, some people make a fuss about getting too much soy if you’re vegan but it’s all about balance and also there’s no proof it does anything bad. You’d have to drink a container a day plus eat tons of soy with each meal to have a problem.

365/O organics/ Nature’s Promise

Stores: Whole Foods, Star Market, and Stop & Shop

Price: $2$-$3.29

Organic? Yes.

Note: Again these are store brands that I recommend, they’re very good and cheap.

Full Circle

Stores: Roche Bros, Piggly Wiggly, IGA, Coborn’s, Raley’s, Basha’s

Price: $2-$3.50

Organic? Yes.

Note: Another store brand I drink when I’m in Minnesota, it’s good but not easy to find unless you live near a specific branded store.

Coconut milk

Pros: 40-80 cals per serving, low sugar, flavor if you like coconuts,

Cons: no protein, flavor if you don’t like coconuts

Califia

Stores: Whole Foods, Target, Star Market, Wegmans

Price: $4.50$5.50

Organic? No.

So Delicious

Stores: Target, Whole Foods, Walmart, Stop & Shop, Star Market

Price: $3-$4

Organic? Yes.

365

Store: Whole Foods

Price: $2-$3

Organic? Yes.  

Companies every day are realizing the demand for dairy-free milk. They’re out there trying to “milk” new things all of the time.

There are tons of other kinds of dairy-free milk like: Ripple Pea Milk, Hemp Milk, Oatly Oat Milk, Hazelnut, Walnut, Peanut, Suja Plant Protein Milk and more!

Amanda R

Emerson '19

Amanda is a Senior at Emerson College pursuing a degree in Journalism. When she's not busy with school or her part-time job, she enjoys reading dystopian novels and trying new vegan brands. She requires a constant intake of caffeine and carbs to survive. She's traveled to 19 countries in two years and her future will (hopefully) include more world travel and writing about what she loves.
Emerson contributor