How To Be a Tourist In Boston & Cambridge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We’re always talking about how not to be a tourist, but what if we embraced it for just one day? Whether Boston is your new home away from home for college or you’re just visiting, this guide will have you taking “tourist status” to a whole new—and super fun—level.

First, you’ll want to start with breakfast at The Friendly Toast in Cambridge. You can enjoy the delicious pancakes or eggs-your-way, but make sure you order the homefries! They’re seasoned to perfection. The kitschy ’50s décor is bright and colorful, so you will start your day off in a fun (and filling!) way.

After a “friendly” breakfast, pay a visit to Harvard Square and the Harvard Campus. Explore the grounds and soak up the Elle Woods vibes. There is no better feeling to get you excited for the rest of your day—cue “Perfect Day” by Hoku.

Make your way from Cambridge to Downtown Boston on the T and visit the Old State House and Faneuil Hall. These sites are home to the history on which this great nation was built! Take some time to explore, shop and relive the moments straight out of your textbook.

For lunch, you have to visit Union Oyster House. It’s a Boston staple! Clam chowdah and lobstah (yes, you should try to order them with a Boston accent) should be your order of choice—they’re well-known for a reason. Don’t forget a side of Boston Baked Beans.

Walk to the North End after lunch and you’ll find an array of bakeries, where the sweet smells of cannoli and fresh baked bread will welcome you in. Whether you prefer more authentic Italian pastries or you’re set on trying a lobster tail from Mike’s is up to you, but this is a can’t miss area for dessert and some prime people watching.

After lunch and dessert, why not take one of Boston’s famous tours? Duck Tours are fun for the whole family, while Trolley Tours are a Boston signature. You can’t go wrong with a guided tour that will get you off your feet for a few hours. Plus, you’ll be able to view the city from a new perspective while learning plenty of fun facts.

Once you finish your tour, do some shopping on Newbury Street, catch a game at Fenway or see if there is a concert happening at the Hatch Shell. If simply enjoying the beauty of the city is more your speed, take time to walk through the Public Garden or the Arnold Arboretum.

Dinner should be where you can view Boston in its prettiest form: either at the Top of the Hub which sits atop the Prudential Center, Boston’s tallest skyscraper, or down by the water, where the Boston Harbor will glisten under the city lights. 

Of course, this is just one sample day! There is so much more to see and do in Boston, and your time here really is what you make of it. Enjoy the history and the beauty of the city that is home to the Red Sox, Baked Beans and so much more.

Alexandra is a senior at Emerson College studying writing, literature, and publishing.
Emerson contributor