How To Be a Heartbreaker: Valentine’s Day Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Marina and the Diamonds is quickly gaining popularity and her song “How to be a Heartbreaker” is the perfect anthem for us single ladies this Valentines Day.  So watch her steamy music video and get inspired to break some hearts with this make up tutorial!

Marina tends to go for a more matte look, so start off with some anti-shine moisturizer. Its always important to moisturize your skin before applying your makeup, and this mattifying one will keep you shine free all day long!

(Clean & Clear’s Morning Burst Shine Control Moisturizer, True Match Foundation in W3, NYX HD Photogenic Concealer in Glow, Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Transparent)

Next, apply your normal foundation, concealer, and powder. Rimmel’s Stay Matte Powder in Transparent is awesome for setting your makeup without looking cakey. 

Marina keeps her eye shadow pretty neutral so I chose to use Revlon’s Colorstay pallet in Addictive. Dust the lightest color all over the lid as a base. Then take the dark brown color and place it in the crease. Make sure you blend it out afterwards to avoid harsh lines. 

(Revlon Colorstay in Addictive)

Next apply some black eyeliner to the top and bottom of your eyelids. Wing out the ends to make it a bit more dramatic. 

(Love and Beauty Eyeliner in Black)

Load on a ton of mascara to the top and bottom lashes. Marina likes to put fake lashes on her bottom eyelid, but that can be a bit too much for most people, so instead just do a few extra coats of mascara.

She also always has very defined eyebrows, so try to fill them in a bit thicker and darker than you normally would. Also make sure you draw a nice arch. Don’t forget to brush it out after so it looks natural!

(Maybelline The Falsies Mascara in Very Black, Rimmel’s Professional Eyebrow Pencil in Black/Brown)

Marina loves to contour her face, so next take some bronzer (without any shimmer) and place it in the hollows of your cheeks, your temples, and down your jaw line. Imagine you are drawing a 3 along the side of your face. If you can’t find a bronzer without shimmer, try using a powder foundation that is a few shades darker than your skin. Also chose a light pink blush to add a little color to the apples of your cheeks. 

(Covergirl Pressed Powder in Warm Beige, Wet n Wild Blush in Pearlescent Pink)

Next apply a matte, nude lipstick. Try to find one that doesn’t wash you out. I chose one with an orangey undertone that went well with my skin tone, but you may want to try a light pink shade! And of course, you can’t forget to draw on Marina’s iconic heart on her cheek. Take the same eyeliner you used before and carefully draw on the heart.

(NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Stockholm)

For some finishing touches, curl your hair, tie on a ribbon, put on a cute retro outfit, and you’re ready to go! Whether you’re heart broken or a heartbreaker this Valentine’s Day, remember to always wear your heart on your cheek and not on your sleeve. 

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.