stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

This year I lost 80 pounds. From this experience, I learned the truth behind a few things that I had heard from all the diet rhetoric over the years. Here are the things that worked for me. 

Drink Green Tea, Even Though It Tastes Like Shit

Maybe some of you like green tea. If you do, props to you. If you are like me, and you would rather drink a caramel latte, well-green tea has a lot more to offer you weight loss wise. Green tea is a great substitute for sugary drinks that reduces bloating and heightens weight loss. Try drinking it with honey, iced, or in lemonade to enhance the flavor. 

Eating Protein that Tastes Good

In the average American diet, there can frequently be a lack of sources of healthy protein found amongst especially the cheaper food options. Finding sources of protein you enjoy, such as seafood, grilled chicken, etc and even looking into a ketogenic (high fat, high protein, low carbohydrate) diet can result in natural weight loss that doesn’t feel like dieting. 

ACTUALLY Exercising..

Working out once or twice is easy, but committing to working out 7 days a week can be hard, especially if you don’t play a sport. Start by working out 2 or 3 times a week, whether it be at the gym or at home, and you will eventually see results without needing to change your diet at all. Make it fun! Don’t focus on the weight loss, focus on enjoying the workout and strengthening your body. Listen to music that makes you feel like a bad bitch. 

Conscious Eating

Overeating is very easy in America, where the portion sizes are double what they should be. Try to be mindful when you eat of your body’s natural cues-stop eating when you are full, and focus on what you are eating and what is in it. If everything you eat is processed with ingredients you can’t even pronounce, reconsider a few of your choices. You don’t have to count calories all day if you are aware of what you are eating.

Stop Eating Out-Or…

Eating out is literally my favorite activity in the world, so I’m not going to say don’t eat out, even though it will help you lose weight and save money. If you are going to eat out, go for something light, a soup, something grilled grilled, or a salad-it will taste good if you are at a place worth spending your money at.

Don’t Drink Your Calories

Cutting out sugary drinks and even some alcohol from your diet will be very helpful if you want to lose weight. Something I did to lose weight is replacing soda with unsweetened iced teas and drinking lots of water, which helps you feel fuller if you are unsatisfied after your meal. 

Go Shopping!

When I was halfway to my goal, I went shopping. Being able to fit into clothes I could never have worn months ago inspired me to keep going, even though I wore whatever I wanted that existed in my size before. This is a fun way to motivate yourself through what can be a daunting process. 

Losing weight can be hard, scary, and dangerous if you take it too far. Try to be gentle with yourself, and view it as a way of strengthening and bettering your body for your own good. The real key is to focus on your health instead of your self image.

Zoe Rivera

Emerson '23

Hi! I'm a freshman contributor at Emerson College
Emerson contributor