The Hit List: L.A.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Over the past few weeks, I have been crossing a lot of  things off my “LA Hit List.” With only twelve days left in Los Angeles though, I know I need to complete it. The list is mostly full of touristy things, foods I need to try, and places I have wanted to explore, but having it with me as a guide has made me fall in love with LA a bit more. Here are some of the highlights:

#1: Vegas, Baby!
I got my Nick Papageorgio on in Las Vegas this past weekend. It was on my West Coast bucket list, and the trip did not disappoint. I met up with my uncle and dad, who were already in Sin City for a work convention. And I know what you are thinking, “Vegas with your dad? So not fun!” But, you could never be more wrong. It was a total blast, and so good to see some of my family. We walked the strip, ate some great food, and even had time to see a Cirque du Soleil show. Although I left down nearly $60, I was up on hugs and love!

#2: Hike to the Hollywood Sign
Last weekend, three friends and I ventured to Griffith Park Observatory to hike the Hollywood sign. A bunch of kids in the LA program had already done the hike, so with a lot of water and off-road directions, we ventured to the trail. It was hardcore climbing and sliding down mountains. After two hours, though, we reached our destination. We couldn’t actually touch the sign because it is illegal, but we did take some pretty sweet pictures. Being able to look out over all of LA with Hollywood at my feet was an amazing feeling.

#3: Sprinkles Cupcakes in Beverly Hills
I am addicted to the Food Network, and my favorite show happens to be Cupcake Wars, where different bakers face off in various cupcake competitions. They always talk about one of the judges, Candace Nelson, who started the first cupcake bakeshop, Sprinkles. Being a cupcake connoisseur, I knew I had to try one of those famous sweets. When I arrived at the shop, the line was out the door! I had a hard time choosing, but I eventually decided on a red velvet cupcake. I mean, how wrong can you go with red cake and cream cheese frosting? It was delicious! The only bad part is that I now want to go back and try every flavor.

#4: Dancing with Ellen DeGeneres on National Television
My roommates and I went to a taping of The Ellen Show this past month. My only request was that I sit in an aisle seat so that I could, maybe, get the chance to dance with Ellen. Sure enough, I was placed in an end seat, AND we were in the front row. Ellen appeared, and the music was blasting. As if she knew, Ellen came right up to me and I totally “shook what my mama gave me.” It was really fun, and I got to share a moment with her. Not to mention, my group got some major face time on TV. “Hi Mom and Dad!”

With those four things checked off my to-do list, I still have these things that need to be checked off:
1) Eat at one of the food trucks LA is so famous for
2) Go to Venice Beach on a day it’s warm enough
3) Attend a Chelsea Lately viewing
4) Hike a trail in Malibu
5) Go on a cheesy Star Tour to find out where the celebrities live
6) Eat at Roscoe’s House of Chicken & Waffles (and hopefully bump into Snoop Dogg while I’m there)

Do you think I can do this all in twelve days? I hope so. Wish me luck! If you know of any other quintessential LA things I need to do before I leave, tweet me @JillianLeff.

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.