Here’s Why You Should Care About the VP Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The Vice Presidential debate was this past Tuesday, and I can almost guarantee that less than half of the voter population that tuned into the presidential debate actually cared about this one. It’s a shame how few people actually understand how vital this really is. I don’t want to come off preachy, but there are three reasons why people really need to understand the urgency of these debates, especially the Vice Presidential one.

1. Everyone hates the presidential candidates

Hate may be a strong word, but people are not crazy about these candidates. That is far from a secret. It may be a little “messed up” to think about, but these candidates are not in for a “safe” presidency. Either candidate, I’m sure, will have either attacks or even attempted assassinations. In that case, one of the two VP candidates that more than half of the country does not seem to care about, would run the country in their stead. Think about that.

2. They are part of the election package

You are not just voting for Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump, you are voting for Clinton Kaine, or Trump Pence. That can be hard to remember sometimes when these candidates take up all the media and air time in this country.

3. It’s part of your political duty as a citizen in this country

It is not just voting. It’s staying informed, learning about the candidates, knowing what is at stake and what is going on in our country. I think a lot of people forget that duty and take the easy way out by hopping on the bandwagon.

Please do not be so fickle with something so important. Watch the debates and vote. It’s not too much to ask.

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor