Style > Fashion

Here’s How to Channel the Internet’s New Favorite Fashion Icon, Jenna Lyons, in Your Own Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’ve been captivated by Jenna Lyon’s signature style, you’re not alone! This article will show you how to channel her casual yet chic style into your wardrobe.

Jenna Lyons may as well have been the first influencer before they existed as how we know them today. Lyons has had a mainstream resurgence after her casting was announced for the fourteenth season of The Real Housewives of New York and viewers were given a glimpse into her chic and glamorous shoe and clothing closets. No stranger to the fashion industry, Lyons had a 27 year tenure at J. Crew, during which she became the public face of the brand. She even had a section called “Jenna’s Picks” in the company’s editorial that showed the public her affinity for a combination of tom-boy and glam style elements.

If you’re looking to channel Lyon’s signature style for a fall refresh or for a new job, this article’s got you covered. Some staples you’ll need are a black blazer, a pair of black boots, and a black belt with gold hardware. Most importantly, you’ll need self-confidence. Lyons recently revealed that she has Incontinentia Pigmenti, a condition that affects hair growth. Lyons still chooses to rock a wig with gray roots and short synthetic eyelashes. She wears minimal makeup, but pairs it with a bold, red lip. The most important part of developing a sense of style is to stay true to yourself.

Lyons recently made history again when she decided to wear jeans on The Real Housewives of New York end of season 14 reunion, becoming the first housewife to do so. Her style choice was a far cry from the glamorous gowns we usually see housewives wear at the reunion.

If you want to capture Lyon’s reunion look, my favorite jeans are Everlane’s The Way-High jean which retail for $118 and are best when purchased during a site sale. Some alternatives are available on Levi’s, which is having an up to 40% off sale right now. The Levi’s 501 Original Fit Women’s Jeans are a perfect choice for a classic, straight leg jean. They can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion and how you style them. A versatile, high-quality pair of jeans is worth investing in.

In true Lyons style, she wore a professional, yet trendy blouse. The Sheer Tie-Neck Shirt from Gap channels Lyons iconic style because it’s professional yet also trendy. It can be worn to work and then out for drinks after. You can make the outfit more modest by wearing a turtleneck or full-length underneath. Or, if you’re just wearing it out to dinner or for a day running errands, you can pair it with a black bralette.

If you’re looking to channel Lyon’s style into your outfit, look no further than her outfit from Solange’s 2014 wedding.

For the top, you can just throw on a classic white button down that you can find at just about any store, thrift store, or even your dad’s closet.

If you’re looking to splurge on a fur coat, Cinq à Sept’s Tenley Embellished Faux-Fur Coat which retails for $795 at Bloomingdales is quintessentially Jenna Lyons. A cheaper alternative is Adrienne Landau’s Animal Print Faux Fur Jacket from The Real Real, which is on sale now for $85 (regular retail price is $425).

A cheaper alternative to Lyon’s feather skirt proved difficult to find. A close alternative is the Adore Faux Suede Long Fringe Western Skirt from Pinto Ranch, which retails for $125.

Lyons has attended the Met Gala a total of seven times and never sacrificed her casual yet chic style for the theme. Each time she stepped out on the Met steps, she did so in her signature blend of casual and professional wear. At the 2012 “Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations” themed Met Gala, Lyons wore a pink satin skirt and a denim button up cropped jacket.

A close match for Lyon’s skirt can be found at Macy’s. The Women’s Pull-On Satin Midi Slip Skirt from French Connection retails for $88. The skirt can be worn in almost any situation and paired with a variety of different tops. The skirt can be paired with cropped tank tops and platform sandals in the summer. In the winter, you can wear a cropped black sweater and boots to make the skirt suitable for colder weather. The skirt is worth the high price tag because it’s multi-seasonal.

Finally, his article wouldn’t be complete without a J. Crew recommendation to complete a Jenna Lyons inspired outfit. The J. Crew Lady Louisa Jacket in denim retails for $148, but the website is having a 30% sale on certain items with the code “SALETIME”. The sale is the perfect opportunity to add some Lyon’s inspired items to your wardrobe.

If The Real Housewives of New York is renewed for another season and Lyons returns, we’ll be able to draw more fashion inspiration from her. Even if she does choose to return to the Bravo hit show, Lyons will continue to be a fashion inspiration for many women.

References:
https://decider.com/2023/07/20/new-rhony-star-jenna-lyons-uses-fake-hair-teeth-genetic-disorder-the-view/

I'm currently a senior journalism major at Emerson College. I have experience in audio and broadcast journalism, as well as web writing.