HC Emerson Says “So Long” for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
It’s finally here — that time of year when our breathing, and sleep patterns, become a bit less irregular. Although the semester’s been fun, we’re all ready to toss out our textbooks and swap them in for some sun. Here’s what we at Her Campus Emerson will be doing this summer. But, what about you? What are your plans? Comment or tweet us @HCEmerson!

“This summer, my number one goal as an official college graduate isn’t to get a job (because that would be the smart, sensible thing to do), but to travel as much as possible. The day after graduation, I’m heading to Europe with my boyfriend, where we will be traveling throughout six different countries for about three weeks. I’ll head back home to New York City after, but I might then take a short trip out to Southern California. Since I’m originally from San Diego, I have a lot of friends out there. In August, I’m going to London and Paris with my mom, and will spend the remainder of the summer in Israel with my dad. Since entering college, this is the first summer I haven’t had an internship, and will hopefully be the last summer I don’t have a job, so I am really looking forward to making the most out of this unique time in my life.”
Nikki Fig // Senior // Broadcast Journalism

“This summer, I will be interning at Seventeen magazine in New York City. As a native Floridian, I have only ever experienced New York as a tourist, and I am more than excited to finally experience the city in the way I have always wanted to, especially while at my dream internship. Honestly, it still doesn’t feel real, but I have no doubt that I will learn so much and grow exponentially from my summer in the city.”
Michelle King // Sophomore // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“This summer, I will be attending the six-week New York University Publishing Institute Program from June 5-July 29. The rest of the time, I will be working at home, saving up money to eventually go to Israel to intern at The Jerusalem Post. I’ll also be looking into some freelance positions, and will continue working for Music Unites, the non-profit I’ve been volunteering for, which provides music education opportunities for students in inner-city schools in New York.”
Michelle Golden // Senior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“I will be spending my summer in New York City at Women’s Health magazine as a photo intern. I am so excited for the opportunity, because Women’s Health is one of my favorite magazines, and I really look up to the women whom I will be working with in the department. Not to mention that New York City is an amazing city (although I still love Boston), and will be a fun place to spend the summer. I can’t wait to spend evenings in Central Park, Sunday mornings in coffee shops, and any extra free time in all the quaint little stores. This summer is definitely going to be one to remember!”
Marissa Ericson // Junior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“First of all, I can’t tell you how excited I am that summer is finally on its way. I’m graduating, and that’s scary, but I’m excited to start the rest of my life. I’m continuing my social media internship at a Boston hospital and looking for a more permanent job, on top of moving home to Connecticut. Aside from that, I want to take a fresh look at my home state and go on day trips with friends to places I haven’t yet visited. (Here I come, Dinosaur State Park in Rocky Hill, Connecticut!)”
Shana Wickett // Senior // Print & Multimedia Journalism

“I am planning on living in Boston with some good friends, learning French, and hopefully exploring the wonderful city we live in via bicycle. A little bit of work and a little bit of internship thrown in, with some farmers’ markets and day trips around the Northeast.”
Emily Dyess // Junior // Communication Studies

“This summer I’ll be working in retail, slinging denim and folding graphic tees, all while looking for a ‘big girl job.’ I’d say I’m scared about the ‘real world,’ but I’m just so excited about graduation, that I can’t. Nothing says summer like knowing you never have to write another 20-page paper ever again.”
Lauren Landry // Senior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“This summer, I’ll be arriving home just as my mom and sister are getting out of school. Since we didn’t have a housewarming party when we moved to our new house in January, I’ll be hosting a housewarming/end of the year party for our school! I’m excited to see old teachers and friends. In June, Katy Perry kicks off her U.S. Tour in Atlanta, my hometown, of all places. I’m taking my sister — it’s her first concert! There’s also tentative plans to see a friend in Savannah, go to Miami to visit my dad’s side of the family, and I’m sure I’ll squeeze in a trip to New York and Boston somewhere in between. Happy summer!”
Lorena Mora // Junior // Writing for Film & TV

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.