Hats Off! Ideas for Decorating Your Mortarboard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s black, fitted, and it’s got tassels.

Unfortunately, I’m not talking about some naughty Agent Provacateur lingerie — I’m talking about your mortarboard.

“My what?!” Your mortarboard — aka the flat part of your graduation cap! What better way to stand out in a crowd of hundreds than to make a statement on an otherwise heinous piece of grad apparel? Decorating your mortarboard is one way to spice up your cap and gown on your special day.

Here are some fun ways you can decorate your mortarboard using simple craft supplies:

Give a shout out to Mom & Dad. They most likely paid for your education, but, more importantly, raised you to be the awesome grad they see before them today. Thank them!

Make it a bouquet. Use fake flowers to make yourself a little floral crown. This one’s SUPER cute and an idea I’ll be stealing for mine!

Let everyone know it’s YOU! Your family and friends will be seated far from where you and the rest of the Class of 2012 will be seated during the cermony — mark your cap with your name so you’ll be easy to spot!

Get sassy. Don’t feel like searching for a super deep quote that sums up your college career? This girl took a cue from Kanye’s Taylor Swift Interruption and said PEACE OUT to her college in style.

Be bold — go hatless! Pull a Serena van der Woodsen and tie in your tassel like a hair extension. Of course, this may only look cool if your hair is as gorgeous as Blake Lively’s….

Let us know how you decorate yours by tweeting us at @HCEmerson!

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.