This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Getting into the Halloween spirit is a little more challenging this year, but luckily it’s not too rainy yet, and there are still outdoor activities that we can enjoy to get us in the spooky spirit. Salem, Massachusetts has been known to attract tourists during October for its eerie past and its campy attractions today. This year, due to COVID-19, all of the usual events and Halloween celebrations have been canceled, but the boutiques are still open and the historical sites are still there. 

The first thing to remember when visiting Salem this year is obviously, wear a mask. Not only is it required in the state of Massachusetts, but the city of Salem has made it clear that in all the more “touristy” areas of the city, masks are required at all times. For safety reasons as well, I would recommend venturing out there on a weekday if possible. Weekends are still busy this year, so you’ll enjoy yourself most without the crowds (and the lines). If you can’t make it there on a weekday, then try to get there before 10:00 am: this way you’ll avoid some crowds, actually find parking, and catch the stores right as they open up.

The best things to do in Salem are shop and stroll, and you can do both of these things safely. All stores have a maximum capacity and hand sanitizer at the doors, so you’ll still be able to spend all your money on all things witchy. Not only that, but Salem is full of historical sites and memorials in relation to the Salem Witch Trials, all within walking distance, so you will easily spend most of your time outside admiring all the gravestones and creepy homes. 

When it comes to food, things get a little more complicated. Restaurants fill up quickly, especially on weekends, and outdoor seating fills up quickly as well right now, so what I would recommend is pack a lunch. Salem is full of great grassy areas to spread out a blanket and eat your lunch. And even better, you didn’t have to wait two hours to be seated at a table outside! 

Two things on my quick trip to the spooky city that I absolutely loved were the Nightmare Gallery Monster Museum and an escape room. The Monster Museum kept people socially distanced and required masks and was such a fun way to see all the creepy villains from classic horror films in their life-size forms. As for the escape room, only groups that came together could be in the escape room at a time, so that no one is interacting with any strangers. Beyond that, masks were required the whole time and all items in the room were sanitized between groups. I would also recommend the store Wicked Good Books to any book lovers out there. Beyond these, be sure to branch out and check out the Witch House and various cemeteries in the area. And wear your mask!

Sydney Rowley

Emerson '23

I'm a Journalism student at Emerson College who loves books, hiking, fashion, and coffee.
Emerson contributor