Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

A Guide To Living Low Waste In A City Of Plastic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It seems like every other month a new article is published highlighting just how bad the state of our climate is. In fact, scientists have said that time is running out on time before the damage is irreversible, and four countries so far have declared climate emergencies. There are many contributing factors to this, but one is the production of products and packaging. Enter the zero waste movement. 

In simple terms, the zero waste movement is the collective goal to produce little to no trash possible. It’s like the “reduce, reuse, and recycle” mantra you possibly heard growing up. It seems easy enough, until you realize just how much we are influenced by our consumerist culture. We constantly want to buy-buy-buy, and don’t even realize our “retail therapy” habits, especially living in a city. If you are interested in living a low waste lifestyle, there are some simple things you can do to do which will benefit both you and the city you reside

Identify Where Most of Your Trash Comes From

As an experiment, look at your trash for a few days. You don’t have to dissect it, but it’s good to just take note of the general category of items you throw away. Are they primarily food related such as wrappers, bottles, or to-go containers? Is it mainly toiletries such as q-tips, feminine products, tooth brushes? By understanding in what area you generate the most trash, you’ll be able to adapt and find alternatives. 

Bring Reusable Containers Wherever You Go

One of the best parts about living in a city is the plethora of food options. It’s so much fun being able to try a new restaurant or diner as a treat, but having extra food afterwards warrants a pesky “to-go” box. To avoid this, get yourself a reusable container to bring with you if you know you’re going out. I always carry a miniature backpack with me, but you can find one small enough to fit your purse/tote bag/etc.

Stop Ordering Online. Shop Second Hand or Local. 

I get it, I love retail therapy too. It’s almost addicting to order something online and have the anticipation of it arriving. However, it’s one of the biggest areas we produce waste. Ordering online produces so much unnecessary trash, and it’s often very expensive for us, the consumer. If you have a necessity, it’s best to find it at a second hand store or to visit local shops. By shopping second hand, you will find that you save money and give previously loved items a second chance. Additionally, the items you find shopping at local stores will be more unique, better quality, and made by those in your direct community. 

Join a Zero Waste Facebook Group in your area. 

There are many cool resources and groups focused on zero waste and sustainability in cities across the U.S., and they’re not difficult to find! Just in Boston, I am a part of a “Buy Nothing” Facebook group and a Zero Waste Boston Group for Beginners. By following social media pages and joining Facebook groups, it’s so helpful to get advice and tips/tricks from people local to you. It’s really a no judgement zone, and it’s really encouraged me to further my search in ways to make my life more sustainable.

Take public transportation as much as possible. 

This one is pretty self explanatory! Many cities across the U.S. (and the world) have a transportation system that you can utilize. By using public transportation, you will help cut down on greenhouse gas emissions and negative environmental impacts. Not to mention, public transportation is fun to people-watch and understand the culture of your beloved city. So, go ahead! Refill that charlie card and hop on the T!

Zero waste activist, Anne Marie Bonneau, once said: “We don’t need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly. We need millions of people doing it imperfectly.” Very few people are able to master the art of going totally zero waste because it’s very hard to do so. However, even making some simple changes to your everyday life can have a big impact on you and the environment. 

Olivia is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. At any given moment, you can find her talking about books on her blog, petting dogs in the Boston Common, or impulse buying a plant or two. Ask her what musical she is currently listening to; she's dying to tell you.
Emerson contributor