Chobani Greek Yogurt
Chobani Greek Yogurt
Alex Frank / Spoon

Guide to a Dairy-free Lifestyle: Non-Dairy Items at the Supermarket

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Over the past year, I have forgone all dairy products due to slight sensitivity and health preferences. Dairy is a staple to the American diet and may appear unavoidable. There is a sort of ambivalence regarding the healthiness of consuming the recommended three servings. Although dairy products provide probiotics and other essential vitamins, a concerning disadvantage to this is increased health risks such as heart disease. From my observations there seem to be more awareness about people who cannot tolerate, or choose to refrain from consuming food products with dairy. Vegan and Paleo diets that exclude all dairy have become popularized. 

A primary concern of those opting for a dairyless diet is that they will not find replacements for the foods they once cherished. There is no need to worry, as there is a variation of options available in most grocery stores to suffice. Companies that cater to this lifestyle have often designed food products that serve to supplant dairy. 

It is safe to choose products that are labeled certified vegan, which implies that there are no animal products. However, there are household items without this label that are also dairy-free. From my own experience and research, I have gathered some of my dairy-free items of choice from the grocery store. Some are replacements for the necessities, with a few suggestions of snacks processed without milk. 

Still, if one has a serious allergy, they should approach these products with caution, as processing risks contamination. To preface, the majority of these alternatives either contain or risk contamination with tree nuts and soy. Regardless, it is always vital to perform further research before consuming a product for safety. Another disclaimer is that not all of these foods are deemed healthy, and are not always ideal for that endeavor. Though these are certainly my top choices and work for my diet, they call for the individual to check the ingredients and nutritional info.    

Silk Almond Milk

It is standard that there will be a diverse selection of plant-based milk. And Silk is the most commonly stocked in the majority of grocery stores. It is quite dependable, and can be used in smoothies, with cereal, for baking, and cooking as well. Although Silk has a quite popular soy-based milk, my personal preference is almond milk, as it mimics the creaminess of real milk. I typically purchase the original, or unsweetened, as there is Silk that is perfect for a morning coffee ritual sans the dairy. For those who dislike, or cannot have it, there is also So Delicious Coconut Milk and Planet Oat Oat Milk Original. 

Forager Project Strawberry Dairy-Free Probiotic Drinkable Cashewgurt

This yogurt is similar to other varieties, however, it is a drinkable version that supplies probiotic benefits gained in milk-based yogurts. This is the ideal snack for people on a busy schedule. Honorable mentions include So Delicious Dairy-Free Coconut Milk Vanilla yogurt Alternative and Silk Strawberry Almond Milk Yogurt Alternative. 

Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread

This is a fake butter in almost every vegan’s pantry, for it serves countless purposes in cooking and baking. There is also a soy-free version available to try. 

Daiya Cheddar-Style Deluxe Cheezy Mac 

I always considered macaroni and cheese as one of my favorite foods, and since sacrificing it, I still crave it on occasion. This fake macaroni and cheese provide a flavor similar to that of cheese while being free of dairy, soy, and gluten. As this boxed, when cooking it pairs well with Silk Almondmilk or any of the others I listed above. 

Daiya Pepperoni Style Gluten-Free Pizza 

Daiya as a brand clearly never fails to come up with delicious alternatives to beloved dairy-containing meals. I thoroughly enjoy this pizza as I did the real thing long ago, though it is not an exact duplicate. There is a noticeable difference in the texture of the fake cheese in comparison to real cheese. I must acknowledge that it is quite a feat to create something that captures the same textures, as flavoring can easily be copied. Even if it is not an exact reproduction, Daiya’s pizza is nonetheless satisfying.

Follow Your Heart Medium Cheddar-Style Slices

These fake cheese slices by Follow Your Heart are perfect for sandwiches. Although I have attempted at making sandwiches with hummus or avocado, they were still missing the one essential ingredient. Though it does not have a sharp cheddar flavor, it still resembles cheese when melted in any sandwich. I have yet to try any other brands, as products like these are surprisingly difficult to find. For now, I can claim that this is a valid replacement.

Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds

I have not tried many shredded kinds of cheese, as there is not usually a vast selection of them as there are plant milk or plant-based ice creams. I have used this to make my own pizzas at home, and have run into the same issue of texture. I have talked to other people who are vegan or do not eat dairy and learned that vegan cheese typically has a strange texture. But if this texture is not bothersome to the individual, it functions as an adequate substitute. 

Banza made from Chickpeas

This mock-pasta is free of dairy and gluten, while still benefiting with substantial amounts of protein and fiber. The shells are undoubtedly the best version in terms of texture, although there are also spaghetti and penne options as well. I usually eat regular pasta made from wheat or white flour, however, chickpea flour pasta is guaranteed to be devoid of milk. 

So Delicious Dairy Free Frozen Dessert Cashew Milk Salted Caramel Cluster

There is never a moment in time that I am not craving this particular imitation of ice cream. When I was younger and less sensitive to dairy, I used to always go for this sweet and salty combination. To my surprise, I was able to find something similar to satisfy my cravings. It seems that most non-dairy ice creams contain tree nuts, but those with the allergy who can safely eat coconut can indulge in So Delicious Dairy Free Cookie Dough Coconut Milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert. I also have never tried it, but Oatly and Halo Top have numerous flavors that are nut-free from what I have looked into.   

Hippeas Organic Chickpea Puffs 

These delectable chickpea puffs come in vegan white cheddar, nacho vibes, Himalayan happiness, and bohemian barbecue. For those who reminisce in the days of eating Cheeto puffs will love these genius treats. I have been noticing them more in grocery stores as more people discover them. I have become addicted to these, and have yet to burn out on them. 

Newman’s Own Fig Newtons

The classic mini-cookie with a fruity feeling is shockingly dairy-free and wheat-free. The snack is not too sweet, but nonetheless a satiating dessert or simple snack. It never crossed my mind that these had no dairy until I caught a glimpse of the fine print under the brand name stating so. 

Purely Elizabeth Ancient Grain Granola in Blueberry Hemp

This granola is packed with superfood benefits and antioxidants. I advise eating it crumpled up in a coconut milk yogurt or sprinkled on oatmeal. Another runner-up granola is Bear Naked Cacao & Cashew Butter Granola for those who miss eating chocolate.  

Trader Joe’s Vegan Banana Bread

This one is a specialty item only available at Trader Joe’s. It is truly as good as any milk-containing banana bread out there. I might even dare to announce that it is superior to any banana bread I have tried in the past. Since it is a processed good, I recommend heating it up in the microwave or eating it with a vanilla dairy-free ice cream.

Bobo’s Oat Bars

This is unquestionably an excellent breakfast bar. It is very filling and has a cakey rather than a crunchy texture, which is a preference of mine. The flavor in which I normally select is the maple pecan, chocolate chip, or lemon poppyseed. Another vegan bar option which is non-granola is Larabars, which are made of fruits and nuts. 

I hope this exhaustive list aids someone in their search for delectable replacements for dairy items or brings to light some surprisingly dairy-less foods available in grocery stores. 

I'm a freshman Writing, Literature & Publishing major at Emerson College. I love reading, music, and dogs!
Emerson contributor