‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Undo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Fall officially started last week and we all know what that means. Pumpkin spice, apple picking, sweater weather, and the return of Shonda Rhimes’ shows on ABC! I don’t know about you, but during the fall, Thursdays are my absolute favorite night. Even though I love every piece of television created by Queen Shonda, I have a special place in my heart for Grey’s Anatomy. So, lucky for you all, I will be recapping the latest episode so you’re ready to go for the next episode on Thursday.

The new season of Grey’s Anatomy picks up right where it left off: Dr. Alex Karev has just totally wrecked Dr. Andrew Deluca, because he thought Deluca was forcing himself on Karev’s girlfriend, Dr. Jo Wilson. Naturally, because literally everyone on this show is a hella talented surgeon, Deluca is rushed to Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital’s ER, Karev riding with him in the elevator. In an attempt to calm himself down, Karev admits to Meredith Grey that he was the one who beat up Deluca, still genuinely believing he saved Jo from being harmed. Being one of the closest people to Karev, Meredith agrees to keep his secret from chief of surgery, Miranda Bailey, who is helping the police investigate who hurt one of her doctors. As the episode goes on, we focus more on Meredith and her struggle between wanting to do the right thing and turn Karev in and wanting to do the other right thing and keep her friend safe. It’s always these situations that make Shonda’s shows even more delectable, am I right ladies?

Anyway, back at Jo and Karev’s apartment, Jo is frantically (and drunkenly) trying to sort out what all this craziness means for her, because she knows Deluca was only trying to help her get home safely, because she was drunk—like super drunk. Back at the hospital, Dr. Jackson Avery discovers that Deluca may lose his eyesight, and with that his career, due to the meeting. Once Karev hears this, he starts to realize how screwed he actually is (at this point in the show, I like to imagine Shonda Rhimes glamorously reclining with a glass of red wine and some popcorn, casually laughing at the beautiful monster she has created). On top of keeping Karev’s secret, Meredith is also dealing with the fact that Dr. Nathan Riggs is in love with her, but is also the love interest of her sister, Maggie. However, Maggie is a little distracted, because Deluca was once her significant other and he’s now lying in a hospital bed with a torn retina. Later on, Meredith finally decide that she has to turn Karev in and goes to Dr. Bailey, who is shocked and furious to hear that one of her most promising residents was the cause of everything. As Dr. Bailey goes to find Karev, she runs into the police who are putting Karev in handcuffs and inform Dr. Bailey that Karev actually turned himself in. Karev is taken away to jail and will wait there until Deluca is conscious and sound enough to decide to press charges. The first episode of Season 13 ends with Meredith eliminating any chance she may have with Dr. Riggs, as to protect her sister’s heart.

Not many people can make us feel emotions quite like Shonda Rhimes can, seriously—I think she’s magical. I can only imagine the drama, heartbreak and groundbreaking surgeries that will go on at Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital this season. Let’s do this.

Freshman at Emerson College, theater kid, coffee addict, and Delawarian at heart.
Emerson contributor