Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Fun Ways to Spend Valentine’s Day (As A Single Person)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and many people are figuring out what to do and how to spend the day with their loved ones. Others, like myself, have no significant other to spend the day with, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still celebrate! I use Valentine’s Day to spread love to my closest friends, as well as to give some love to myself. Here are a few ways you can spend Valentine’s Day if you are single—bonus: these activities are COVID-friendly!

pink mug on stacked books
Photo by Ella Jardim from Unsplash

Indulge yourself in a Valentine’s Day dinner for one.

While a romantic dinner for two is custom for a Valentine’s Day date, there is nothing wrong with taking yourself out on a dinner date. Don’t be afraid to order a meal intended for two, and to spend the extra dollar for ordering food from a fancy restaurant—it’s a day to give yourself some love! You can also cook yourself a nice dinner, perhaps with a recipe that you’ve never tried before. No matter what you plan for your Valentine’s Day dinner, remember that there is no love more sincere than the love of food.

Have a movie watch party with friends.

If you are trying to come up with a Valentine’s Day activity for you and your fellow single friends (in the era of COVID), have a movie watch party! There are many platforms where you can watch movies like Netflix Party or Zoom, but this is a great way to spend the day of love with the people you love, even if you are not physically together. Whether you want to watch a Valentine’s Day rom-com classic like Crazy, Stupid, Love, or a nostalgia-filled movie like The Princess Diaries, a movie watch party is a good idea if you don’t want to feel completely alone on the day of love.

Have a spa night for yourself.

This may be a little repetitive, but I cannot stress enough how important it is to show love to yourself, especially on Valentine’s Day. Use this day to do some self-care and pamper yourself! Whether it is taking a long bath, doing a ten-step skincare routine, painting your nails, or all of the above, don’t be afraid to go the extra mile to take extra care of yourself! If you want to, you can also use this pamper time to binge watch a series you have been meaning to catch up on. 

Revisit hobbies you haven’t had the chance to do in a while.

Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to engage yourself in hobbies and interests you have strong love for. Have a night of relaxation and introspection, and take some time to journal or create some beautiful art. If you are feeling more energetic, have a dance party or do some exercise. Even if it’s something simple like listening to music or reading a good book, these are all great ways to spend your Valentine’s Day by yourself; don’t be afraid to give love to yourself by doing what makes you happy.

Marieska Luzada is a sophomore at Emerson College at Boston, MA majoring in journalism and minoring in publishing. Besides writing for HerCampus, you can find her drafting an a capella arrangement, drinking an iced matcha latte, reading a young adult contemporary, or listening to Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks.