Four Reasons to Stay Home on Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s that time of year again. You’re on your way to a relative’s house for Thanksgiving and you drive by Best Buy and see a line of people already outside waiting for midnight to come around. You think to yourself that some people are just that crazy to skip a wonderful holiday involving family reunion and some awesome food. Who would want to miss out on that? Some of us collegiettes are staying in this Black Friday, and here are some reasons why you should, too.

Most things aren’t actually on sale

Sure, if you’re heading to Target or Best Buy to cash in on that big ticket plasma TV, then it actually could be a deal. But if you’re heading to any clothing brand store, you should probably steer clear. Most stores actually raise the ticket price of the clothing and “mark it down” to create the illusion of a sale. It’s all in the marketing!

Claustrophobia. Big time.

Don’t like big crowds? Stay away. If you don’t like being pushed, shoved or yelled at, then Black Friday definitely is not for you. Even if you go later in the day, people are still just as crazy as they are at midnight! Ask yourself if the deal is really worth it. It probably isn’t. Stay home.

Quality family time is important

You are only home for a short period of time! Yes, you’ll be back home in less than three weeks, but soon enough you’ll be graduated and in a city far from your family. Hang out with them, not at the mall! Watch your favorite holiday movies, decorate the tree and bake some Christmas cookies. It’s so much better than spending your money.

There are so many better things you could be doing

Snuggle with your dog, Netflix and chill with yourself or see your best friends from home. Anything is better than spending your money while being in a crowded mess known as Black Friday.

Katelyn is a senior studying Marketing Communications and Journalism at Emerson College. She is involved with various marketing groups on campus and hopes to work in the entertainment or sports marketing industry. She spent a semester in Valencia, Spain and can be found at a Red Sox or Bruins game more often than not. You can find Katelyn on Twitter at @katelyngearan or @katelyn_gearan.
Emerson contributor