Four Quick and Healthy Meals to Make

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Let’s be real, with classes, jobs, internships, clubs, and who knows what else, it can be really hard to figure out what you’re going to be eating during the week. I usually try to meal plan and make a bulk meal at the beginning of the week so I can just reheat food every other day, but sometimes you just don’t have time to spend  at the grocery store or cooking. When I’m in a pinch, here are a few meals I make throughout the week.

1. Choose Your Own Adventure: Protein+Veggies+Grain+Seasoning

Image Credit: Jakub Kapusnak

I love shakshuka but I haven’t had time to make it in forever. Normally for my go-to meal I saute a bell pepper and maybe half an onion, add a can of chickpeas or boil some lentils, and throw those in. To flavor I’ll use fresh garlic or garlic powder along with spices in my cabinet like cayenne, chili powder, paprika, and cumin (and salt and pepper, of course). I usually add salsa because I love a lot (my go-to condiment), and so the meal doesn’t feel so dry. Then I serve it with rice or naan (I love cooking a few cups of rice at the start of the week and then adding some water and steaming it in the microwave throughout the week). You can easily choose whatever add-ins and seasonings you want and have at it!

2. Sofritas Bowl

Image Credit: BuzzFeed Tasty

Another one of my favorites is the Sofritas Bowl from BuzzFeed’s Tasty. It’s easy to make and the seasoning for the tofu is so good. Forget paying for an expensive bowl or burrito from Chipotle, make your own at home!

3. Chickpea Curry

Image Credit: Chef de Home

If you have a pressure cooker or Instant Pot (I love my Instant Pot so much), I recommend checking out Chef de Home’s Vegan Chickpea Curry. It’s quick to make and once it starts pressure cooking you can squeeze in some homework while you’re waiting for your food to finish cooking!

4. Your favorite restaurant salad (or bowl) at home!

Image Credit: Daniel Cuklev

There’s a salad I loved getting from Spring Chicken in Miami called the Superfood Salad. So I looked up the description of it on the menu, and I added my own little spin to it. My go-to salad to pack for lunch is spring mix with tofurkey (that I season with garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder, or garlic powder and the cajun seasoning from leelalicious that I have leftover from her cajun chicken and rice I made a couple months ago, and tomato paste too if I have it leftover from cooking). I also toast some pecans in a pan with salt and add that in. Then I cut up some cheddar, or vegan cheddar, and I chop a slice or two of a green apple, or other fruit like strawberries or blueberries. I throw in some craisins, and I finish it off with an apple cider vinaigrette. It’s honestly my favorite thing to make for lunch. If there’s a salad or bowl you usually love to order from anywhere, try making it yourself at home!

Senior at Emerson College. WLP: Publishing major. Double minoring in Latin American and Latinx Studies, and Marketing Communications. Aspiring managing editor. Bookworm (especially when it comes to YA). Disney Geek. Ravenclaw.
Emerson contributor