This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

After some wrong turns and incidental mishaps, we finally reached Mochinut (which I had only heard of recently), ready to eat the scrumptious mochi doughnuts. 

A few weeks ago during dinner, my friend and I were talking about food. At some point during the conversation, she told me about these treats called “mochi doughnuts.” I had never heard about them before, but to put it simply, and as the name suggests, a mochi doughnut is a combination of mochi and doughnuts. She showed me a picture of it and I was sold. It looked delicious. From there, we began to research and one of the places that we came across in Boston was Mochinut in Allston. 

After taking the wrong train to get to Kenmore, going back a few stops to catch the right train, going to the wrong bus station, arriving at the right bus station, and the bus doors finally closing  (as it seemed there was a technical problem), my friends and I finally reached our destination. As we opened the doors, we saw the Mochinut stall, a couple of people lining up, and another stall: Gong Cha. 

First, we went to the Mochinut kiosk, looked at all the mouth-watering selections, and decided upon original, black sesame, ube, chocolate, coffee, and matcha. Then, we headed to Gong Cha to grab some boba. Unlike our long journey, both the boba and mochi doughnuts came fairly quickly. 

The long wait was over with our boba and mochi doughnuts in hand, and we were ready to eat brunch. 

As we opened the aesthetically pleasing, Tiffany blue box, we saw the beautifully crafted ringed mochi doughnuts. At the sight, our phones came out and began to snap away at these wonderful creations. With a box of six mochi doughnuts, I didn’t get to taste all the doughnuts, but rather a snapshot of it. 

I first took a bite out of the ube flavored treat. It had this sweet and light ube note that was very subtle that I liked; it wasn’t punchy and strong that it hit you in the face. At the same time, it was fluffy, yet sticky—not sticky like caramel, but like an outside covering of mochi. It gave this soft texture as well as this bite to it—I wanted more, and I wasn’t even finished yet.

Next, I moved on to the original mochi doughnut that was dusted off with powdered sugar. It had the same similar texture that I absolutely fell in love with, and was also sweet. The powdered sugar on the mochi doughnut was generous, and I thought that it would be too sweet, however, it wasn’t. Both had the perfect balance. I only had one thought: I want more. 

In between bites of the mochi doughnuts, I had a couple of sips of my cold, refreshing, and mildly sweet pearl milk tea. For someone with a sweet tooth, this was goodness and sweetness galore and I couldn’t help but smile. 

However, good food is never complete without good company. As my friends and I were eating the mochi doughnuts, we would ask each other how the other flavors tasted and how good the mochi doughnuts were. Despite the mishaps and long wait, being able to share the mochi doughnut experience with my friends was truly wonderful and a memory that I am grateful I was able to share with them. 

My verdict: it was definitely worth it. 

For any foodie out there or anyone who is interested, I highly recommend trying it, and do think that this experience is best shared with loved ones. If you do, I hope it makes your day as it did mine. 

Now, I can’t wait to eat more mochi doughnuts in the future and look forward to the day that I can see these amazing creations once more. Maybe next time I’ll bring a box home for myself, who knows?

Belle Tan

Emerson '23

Belle Tan is a senior at Emerson College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Publishing and Music History and Culture. During her free time, she enjoys playing the flute, singing, reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.