Life > Experiences

Five Ways to Celebrate Your Friendships This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When you think of Valentine’s Day, you probably think of bright red roses, teddy bears, and candle-lit dinners between two romantic lovers. If you’re single (or not a cheesy romantic type), the idea of this holiday may make you vomit a bit. However, it’s 2021! Friendships are just as important as romantic relationships and should be celebrated as such! So, here are five ways to celebrate your friends this Valentine’s Day!  

three women holding each other and smiling and laughing
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

Mail valentines to your friends

Due to the pandemic (and life in general), you may be physically separated from your friends during Valentine’s Day. That certainly doesn’t mean you can’t appreciate them all the same! Break out some cardstock and crafting supplies, and mail them a valentine! Everyone appreciates a handwritten note, especially when it’s from someone they really love. Sending and receiving mail is so much fun, and it’s a great way to let your friends know how much you love them!

Surprise them with a gift card

If you have the extra funds to spare, send your friends a gift card! Obviously, it doesn’t have to be anything big. If there’s a local coffee shop or bakery you know they like, send them a gift card to treat them for their next trip there! I know they’ll certainly appreciate it.

Host a virtual gathering with them 

In the era of COVID, there are so many ways to have a virtual gathering with your friends! I’ve personally played JackBox with my friends, and we all had a blast. You could also host a Netflix party night, a PowerPoint presentation night, or even a Kahoot night! There are so many wonderful and safe ways to hang out with your friends this Valentine’s Day there’s no excuse not to.

Get crafty and make them a gift

If one of your hidden talents is being crafty, then one of the best ways to show your friends a little appreciation is to make them something! I am personally not super crafty, but making a homemade gift would be so much fun to receive! Last year, my friend made me a cross stitch for my birthday and it’s now one of my most prized possessions. If you have a hidden crafting talent, your friend would LOVE any creation you make! 

Make a playlist of songs that remind you of them

Is there anything better than having someone say, “Hey, here’s a song that reminded me of you!”? I don’t think so! If making playlists is a love language of yours, then this is a wonderful option for you! On Spotify, you can even customize the cover of the playlist so it can be a picture of you and your friend (or any picture of your choosing). This is a simple and relatively cheap way to make something special for your friend this Valentine’s Day!

Olivia is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. At any given moment, you can find her talking about books on her blog, petting dogs in the Boston Common, or impulse buying a plant or two. Ask her what musical she is currently listening to; she's dying to tell you.