Five Tips for On-Campus Living With Roommates During The Era of Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

With Emerson’s hybrid class schedule, we are spending more time than ever locked up in our dorm rooms. Our classes, our meals, our clubs and organizations, and even sometimes our jobs are all conducted from the comfort of our dorm room. While it’s a lot of fun to be able to wear sweatpants for all of your responsibilities, it’s also very hard to balance online classes when you are living with several other people who are also in online classes. It may be difficult, but it definitely isn’t impossible to make the most out of your online college semester with roommates.   

friends at a coffee shop
Photo by Brooke Cagle from Unsplash

Set Boundaries

In an average semester, living with six roommates is not too out of the ordinary because you are constantly coming and going. However, with online classes, it’s a very rare occurrence if more than three people are gone from my five person suite. One of the easiest and most important ways to not lose your mind is to establish boundaries with your roommate. If you usually have your camera off during Zoom classes and they’re welcome to come and go, let them know! If you would prefer to be in complete silence during your classes, let them know that as well! Establishing communication early on is key to a successful living situation. 

Always use airpods/headphones

This one is a bit of a given. With all of the classes and meetings, keep a pair of headphones nearby so you can listen to music or watch Netflix while your roommate is in class or vice versa. Plus, no one but you wants to listen to your professor lecture. Invest in a reliable pair of headphones. 

Make your schedule known to your roommates

One particular trick that has helped my suite function is having our schedules posted on the outside of the door! This is especially helpful if you are prone to forget a meeting so your roommate can go: “Hey, aren’t you supposed to be in art history class right now?”. Plus, it lets your roommates know that you may be busy and they shouldn’t come in. 

Respect each other’s quiet time

Even though, as a society, we are incredibly isolated due to COVID, I find that I can barely find a moment alone while living in a dorm. It’s especially important, now more than ever before, to respect your roommates’ alone time. Recharge time is essential to make your dorm household run smoothly. It’s always fun to hang out and chat with your roommates, but make sure you take the time to recharge if you need to. 

Do your share of the chores

While spending so much time in our rooms; trash tends to pile up faster, the bathroom seems to get dirtier quicker, and it seems like the pile of dishes is never ending. I highly recommend making some type of chore chart for your dorm. Keeping your space organized can help the overall dynamic of living situation as well!

Olivia is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. At any given moment, you can find her talking about books on her blog, petting dogs in the Boston Common, or impulse buying a plant or two. Ask her what musical she is currently listening to; she's dying to tell you.
Emerson contributor