This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Here are five super-romantic date ideas for you and that special someone this holiday season without breaking the bank!

Looking for ideas for affordable dates this holiday season? Look no further! Here are five date ideas that are free or nearly free of cost. My girlfriend and I thought of these activities trying to be romantic as broke college students. You will get geared up for cuffing season in no time!

Ice Skating

Ice skating is the perfect opportunity to show off your winter sports skills (or lack thereof). Check out your local ice skating rink or local park, which usually provides free ice skating hours. If you’re a Boston resident like me, you can find ice skating in the Boston Common for $12 per pair of skates, and you can spend the rest of the night looking at the tree lights!

Window Shopping

Holiday shopping is one of my personal favorite parts of the holiday season. The stores, the lights, the excitement. However, as a college student, the magic fades away when  looking at the price tags. So, until you’ve saved up enough or received those Christmas checks from relatives, window shopping is a great alternative to enjoy the holiday magic without hurting your wallet. When window shopping with your partner you can learn about their Christmas desires without awkwardly asking or stalking their search history!

Gingerbread House Building

Gingerbread houses are everything to me, and they should be to you too. Decorating and constructing a gingerbread house with your date is the perfect way to get the night started. The kits only cost around ten to fifteen dollars. This is a great conversation starter, and at the end of it all, you have a wonderfully unique house that the two of you made together.

Look at Christmas Lights

This particular activity is especially easy if you live in a city. Christmas lights can be found anywhere, but it can also be a lot of fun to drive around looking at different displays on different houses. Whether you’re looking at lights walking around in the park holding hands, or driving around together playing your favorite holiday music, looking at all the lights is a free and easy way to have a super romantic holiday night.

Holiday Movie Night

A holiday movie night is a super easy and incredibly romantic date. Put on your favorite holiday movie, curl up with some blankets and hot chocolate (or wine if you’re 21), and enjoy the magic of the holiday season for free. This is a great way to spend some one-on-one time with your date and really get to know them.

The holiday season is one of the most romantic times of the year. It’s the perfect opportunity to find love and fall in love, neither of which should cost you your entire life savings. Whether you use one of these date ideas, or come up with your own, be sure to take it slow and savor the special moments with your loved ones. 

Zoe Rivera

Emerson '22

Hello! I am a junior Writing, Literature and Publishing major at Emerson College. I live in Boston and I am passionate about writing, reading and popular culture.