Toast Peanut Butter
Toast Peanut Butter
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Five Basic Food Necessities You Need for Your Dorm Room This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The fall semester has officially begun! I have slowly been getting into the swing of things again, and I am actually enjoying my half-online,half-in person class schedule! One interesting change that has come about with my hybrid classes is that I’m in my room a lot more than I was in the past. I’m not out and about walking nearly as much as I used to, and I find that that has severely changed my eating habits. This has also caused me to reflect on what snacks to grab first, and what foods are a must to keep in my dorm room. Here are five basic snacks that I can’t live without!

Ramen

Since the beginning of time, ramen has been a staple for college students across the country. Now, I finally understand the hype. Ramen is a cheap and easy dinner if you can’t afford to get takeout and are too lazy to get to the dining hall. I personally love the beef flavored ramen, but I find it’s never a bad idea to have a mix of flavors so you never get sick of it!

Cereal

Cereal: the most important food group. Recently, cereal has become a lifesaver for me when I have enough time to eat before a class but not enough time to run out and grab something. It’s also relatively low cost and something you can stock up on from your school’s dining hall. My roommate and I personally love Honey Nut Cheerios and Chocolate Chex, but any emotional support cereal flavor will do! 

Granola Bars

Granola bars should be one of the top items, if not, the top item, on your grocery list as you fill up your drawers of dorm snacks! Last year, granola bars became my favorite snack to have on the go while I was running late to a class or a meeting. Obviously, this year looks a tad different with virtual meetings and classes, but I still find they tide me over just long enough to make it through several hours of Zoom lectures before I can get a decent meal. 

Caffeinated Beverage of Choice

One of the greatest losses for me personally during the era of COVID is the fact that I can no longer go to a coffee shop or a library. Something about being in a crowded coffee shop with light music playing in the background really gets me in a working zone. While I could never perfectly recreate the ambiance of a coffee shop, I find that keeping some caffeinated drinks in your snack repertoire helps enough. Over quarantine, I taught myself how to make iced matcha lattes and I’ve been keeping it up while working on projects and assignments. I would also recommend keeping your favorite tea, coffee, or soda on hand to get yourself in the zone to crack down on your assignments!

Fruit

I will be the first one to admit it: I don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables while I am at school. I tend to grab for the sweet and salty snacks before I even think about grabbing a piece of fruit. However, you’ll know from every nutrition class you’ve taken that it is really important to incorporate some fruits and veggies into your diet. I find that even keeping a few apples in my snack basket will motivate me to eat a little bit more healthy. Plus, apples and peanut butter is the superior snack. 

Olivia is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. At any given moment, you can find her talking about books on her blog, petting dogs in the Boston Common, or impulse buying a plant or two. Ask her what musical she is currently listening to; she's dying to tell you.
Emerson contributor