Festival Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
With the first weekend of Coachella happening this weekend, it is officially music festival season. And with it comes new fashion that can both be comfortable, versatile, cool, and obviously cute.

But it’s not as easy as it sounds sometimes. I know– I’ve spent the last few weeks trying to come up with the perfect outfit for all three days this weekend– and I definitely struggled. After looking around on blogs and online shops, however, I came up with a few good ideas for each day of the concert.

First things first, it’s going to be hot and humid to whichever festival you go to. So it’s best to avoid heavy fabrics and dark colors; it’s springtime anyway so bust out those pastels you have stuffed in the back of your closet. Color blocking is in so you’ll be killing two birds with one stone. Check out this IDLM skirt that is the perfect amount of color for the occasion:

American Apparel also has a great variety of shorts and tops in all different colors, so there would be a great place to start. Bright colors will definitely make you stand out in a crowd.

You could also channel the hippie vibes that usually surround these festivals and go a different route the next day with earthy tones.

This kind of look is understated but cute, and you don’t have to worry about getting your clothes dirty. Urban Outfitters often has clothes in these hues that would be perfect for a festival that could also transfer to your daily summer wardrobe.

The third look I came up with is based off the resurgence of patriotism in clothes. Whether it’s ironic (probably), I don’t know, but it’s still badass. So tie an American flag bandana around your head or wear red white and blue shorts. You can even wear a flag bra like in the UNIF look book:

A few companies that have started selling a lot of American flag clothes are UNIF, Nasty Gal, and Topshop.

So there you go, three very different looks for three days of music. Don’t forget your glow sticks!

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.