Fashion: Winter isn’t over yet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Emerson has a pretty compact campus, but even taking a trip to the Paramount Center for a taste of savory sweet potato fries—or because you live there—doesn’t truly seem worth it. Walking around the city entails forging through the wind tunnel that calls the corner of Boylston and Tremont home, and trekking through the slowly-melting, dirty slush next to the sidewalks.

But for those who still want to venture outside before spring finally arrives, we have some outfit suggestions—from inexpensive to pricey—to keep you warm and looking great wherever you go.

Look 1: Let’s start from the bottom: the shoes. Yes, heels give you height, and flats give you a polished look, but let’s be honest with ourselves. Those heels are not going to last for long in this kind of weather, and you might as well be barefoot if you’re going to wear those flats. The best alternative is a wedge bootie. It’s comfortable enough to wear all day with your thickest socks. Save//Splurge

The next key to this outfit is an Emerson favorite—the jeggings. A good, thick pair of black jeggings is just what living in Boston calls for. Jeggings allow you to show off your legs without having to worry about freezing. Save//Splurge

RUNWAY TIP
: To make these more appropriate for a night out, get ones that are treated to look like leather. This also adds texture and interest to any outfit.

Top off this outfit with a lot of layers. A basic tank under a sheer top with a blazer can be pulled together with a scarf, gloves, and vest. Vests are great because they cover you up and keep you warm without hiding a great outfit. You put so much effort in trying to look great, so why cover it all up? Save//Splurge

RUNWAY TIP: Vests have been everywhere, making them a winter staple. Be a little more adventurous, and go for trimmed or full faux fur. This adds an extra element of fun.

Look 2: Revealing yourself can mean so much more than showing a lot of skin. That is why the sweater dress is the perfect alternative to skimpy outfits. Sweater dresses keep you warm while still being body-conscious enough to avoid any matronly nuances. Save//Splurge

RUNWAY TIP: Body-con dresses have had a revival in the past few seasons ever since Max Azria brought back the once defunct brand Herve-Leger. The fall/winter 2010 collections embraced this idea, showing body-hugging garments everywhere.

No dress would be ready to face the Boston winter without the addition of tights. These should be on the thinner side to avoid any awkward sweater-dress-on-sweater-tight action, which can result in just too much static. Save//Splurge

To cover up, find a great faux or genuine leather jacket, and do not skimp on the hardware—zippers, flaps, and anything else that adds interest to the outfit. A good leather jacket will never go unworn because through the trends, it always finds its place. Save//Splurge

RUNWAY TIP: Studs used to just be for the punks, but lately designers have been incorporating them into just about anything, from bags to jackets.

Army-inspired boots anchor this outfit perfectly. They give this outfit a relaxed look and allow you to display your tall (and warm!) socks if you choose to scrunch them up above the leg opening of the boot. Save//Splurge

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.