Fashion Underdogs at the Emmys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The Emmys happened on Sunday, September 20, 2015 in Los Angeles. While the temperature in L.A. was over 100 degrees, the fashion on the red carpet was even hotter. While the red carpet has some established fashion icons, a lot of stars unexpectedly took over the show. Here are some of the best looks:

1. Sarah Hyland

Hyland was wearing a gown designed by Zac Posen. Posen’s red carpet dresses are usually characterized as simple designs in a solid color with clean cut lines. He didn’t disappoint with Hyland’s gown, and this plum-colored dress with matching nails and jewelry both flattered her physique and made her one of the best dressed on the carpet, emphasizing the saying, “less is more.”

2. Taraji P. Henson

In Alexander Wang, Henson complemented the red carpet in an all-black gown. The thing that really made the piece special, however, was the chainlink straps. Claire Danes also wore a gown with chainlink straps and some chain work around the waist, but that proved to be too much. Henson’s gown had the perfect chain to gown ratio.

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga’s entrance into the world of television has shown not only an evolution of her talent, but of her fashion sense as well. Once known for her weird way of dressing (meat dress, anyone?), Gaga showed up to the Emmys in a sleek, elegant, black Brandon Maxwell gown. She was accessorized by her exposed tattoos and nothing more.

4. Emma Roberts

Roberts brought the glamour of old Hollywood to the 2015 Emmys in her light-colored Jenny Packham gown. Paired with silver jewelry and her light blonde waves styled to the side, Roberts proved that no one else on the carpet could have pulled off her look as well as she did. Aubrey Plaza brought the other side of Hollywood glamour into her look in a simple, sexy black Alexandre Vaultier gown with a high slit up the left side.

5. Kathryn Hahn

Not one to often be in the headlines as best dressed, Hahn was definitely the fashion underdog of the evening in a black floral asymmetrical Vivienne Westwood gown. 

6. Jaime Alexander

Alexander’s Armani Privé gown was a combination of sequins and sexy. The long, simple cut of the gown let the bright colors stand out for themselves. This look, while on many best-dressed lists, was completely underrated that night. 

Other actresses who are consistently dressed well at awards shows stunned again this year, such as Sophia Vergara, Kerry Washington, Allison Janney, Laura Prepon, and Viola Davis, just to name a few.

Emerson contributor