A “Fall” Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

You know, for the crisp 70-degree weather we’ve been having as of late. Put this playlist on your iPod, perfect for the month of October whether you’re hitting the city streets, strolling a green grass campus, or battling that morning commute. As a a very wise friend recently told me, “That first T ride can make or break your day. Ew.”

1. Fences- Boys Around Here
            Although they’ve been around for the past two years, I first discovered Fences this summer, and to my pleasant surprise found out that they were absolutely ideal for car rides, days spent at the beach, jogging, cooking, pretty much anything! Though this four-piece indie band originally hails from Seattle, their lead singer, Christopher Mansfield, attended Berklee, right here in Boston.
           “Boys Around Here” is a track from their self-titled 2009 debut. The comforting mix of acoustic guitar, gentle drums, steady piano keys, and Mansfield’s soothing voice makes for a light and relaxing listen, one that’ll definitely put a pep in your step as the days get shorter and the to do lists get longer. You should definitely trust me on this because I can listen to this song on repeat for approximately half an hour. That’s a long time.

2. Houses- Lightening
            Interestingly enough, the UK band Houses experimented with creating EP’s that coincide with the seasons. “Lightening” is a song off of their “Fall” EP, and upon first listen you can understand why. It is an instrumental, gorgeous piece of music that you’ll feel compelled to listen to as the weeks pass and the green leaves beneath your feet slyly turn to brown.

3. Death Cab for Cutie- Stay Young Go Dancing
            Frankly, I don’t care that we’ve all been listening to Death Cab since we were in the 7th grade. There is a reason for this, and that reason is that they are gods. The musical feel of this track, off their latest album Codes and Keys, is the epitome of fall weather. “I’m renewed, oh how I’ll feel alive and through autumn’s advancing we’ll stay young, go dancing.”  Let’s go dancing, you guys. Seriously.

4. Alexander Ebert- Bad Bad Love
            If Ebert’s voice sounds vaguely familiar to you, congratulations! You have correctly identified him as the lead singer of Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. Now currently working on his side project, Ebert’s “Bad Bad Love” is oddly reminiscent of a 50’s ballad. Nonetheless, it is a fresh piece of music and particularly excellent to stroll to.

5. The Head and The Heart- Winter
            The Head and The Heart is an essential band for the fall. Folksy, bearded, and prone to making charming music videos for their Youtube Channel, theirs is the kind of music you can listen to over and over and over again. Beautiful voices, beautiful instruments, and beautiful people- a heartedly organic band that reminds us what music is all about.

6. Aunt Martha- Blue Buildings
            I won’t skim around it- this is definitely a song you can song to cry to. Sometimes, during the fall, you’ve just gotta cry. You know, because the trees are naked and your walk home is freezing and they’re out of pumpkin donuts at Dunkin. My roommate introduced me to Aunt Martha after she saw them perform at Bonnaroo, and I have been completely hooked ever since. They are a lovely, acoustic band whose latest album, “Norway ME”, can be played on repeat all day. Tim Noyes, the bands lead vocalist and guitarist, also does bomb covers of songs by bands we all know love such as Matt & Kim, Arcade Fire, Iron and Wine, and Portugal The Man. Check him out here

7. Portugal The Man- Everything is Golden (acoustic version)
            Speaking of Portugal The Man…I urge you to listen to this song when you’re coming home from a tough day of classes. This psychedelic rock band takes a step back with this acoustic version as front man John Gourley croons as only he can. If you like what you hear, check these guys out at the Paradise on October 22nd!

8. Dead Man’s Bones- Pa Pa Power
            This track is a haunting one, complete with background vocals by a children’s choir repeating “We won’t destroy it, no we will not destroy it.”  The collaborative self-titled album, which was released in 2009, encompasses the eeriness of the end of fall, mainly around Halloween where the trees are bare and the cold is a comin. The duo cites love stories about ghosts and monsters as being the main inspiration for their songs. Oh, and this is Ryan Gosling’s band. So there’s that.

9. The Middle East- Blood
            This song gives me a heartache, but in a lovely way. Sometimes I refer to it as a perfect piece of music. “Blood” combines ethereal vocal harmonies, guitars, and even trumpets, which you don’t normally hear in the indie genre. The best part about this song from the Australian band is the hushed, ambient way in which it starts out, escalating slowly into a full-blown musical party. This is undeniably a song that can get you out of a serious funk, if you let it.

10. Broken Social Scene- Guilty Cubicles
            Probably one of my top 5 songs of all time, which is saying a lot. Here’s what I know about this song- something absolutely amazing is being said. Here’s what I don’t know about this song- which amazing thing it’s saying. There’s a message embedded within this music, but I think it’s the type of song that every listener could benefit from in different ways. It’s the kind of three-minute song that should be thirty minutes, because while it’s playing you cannot help but think and think and think, possibly even about those certain things you’ve been avoiding. “Guilty Cubicles” is cathartic- perfect for autumn. 

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.