This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Fairy Tales were an integral part of growing up. As children, we were able to learn right from wrong as our moms and dads read us the detailed and fantastical stories. They helped to shape us as we grew, and expanded our imagination to unbounded heights through tales like “Jack and the Beanstalk,” “Hansel and Gretel,” and “Little Red Riding Hood.” But, as we grew older, these familiar friends and their stories seemed irrelevant and unimaginable. Or maybe not. Our favorite fairy tale characters grew along with us, and they are getting redesigned and most definitely revamped in movies and television today.  

Once Upon a Time, a fairly new ABC drama brings all of our favorite characters into one neat little story. The show, closing in on the end of its first season, is centered on Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and her battle with the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) for a true happy ending. The Evil Queen places a curse on Snow and her husband Prince Charming (Josh Dallas), catapulting them and all of the other characters of the Enchanted Forest into Storybrooke, Maine where they start a normal life and forget all about their magical lives in the Enchanted Forest. Bounty hunter Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) receives a visit from the son she gave up for adoption, Henry (Jared S. Gilmore) who tells her that the fairy tales in the book he is reading are real and she is the only one that can free the town of the Evil Queens curse. 

Each episode delves deeper into the history of the Enchanted Forest, paralleled to what is happening in the real world. One character is the main focus of each episode, whether it is Cinderella, Rumpelstiltskin or any one of their magical friends. The plot line is based around basics from the original fairy tales, while adding a richer story line with adult idea like revenge, true love and desperation.

The movie industry has also hopped on the fairy tale bandwagon, telling old classics with a new twist. Snow White is a favorite story to retell. Mirror, Mirror, released last month, stars Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen and Lily Collins as Snow White. June first will bring another Snow rendition with the release of Snow White and the Huntsman. When Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) is told by the magic mirror that she is not the fairest in all the land, she sends a mighty huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) to dispose of Snow White (Kristen Stewart).
The Huntsman and Snow end up forming an alliance to take out the Queen once and for all. 

Be ready for more modern remakes in 2013. “Jack and the Beanstalk” gets an overhaul in Jack the Giant Killer. The long held peace between humans and giants is compromised when the princess of the land is captured. A young farmer (Nicholas Hoult) leads the fight to rescue her. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is also scheduled for release in 2013. Our favorite gingerbread house siblings are all grown up. They are a team of bounty hunters to track down and kill witches all over the globe and they kick some serious ass.

These story remakes bring the way we all imagined these characters in our heads to life. The technology available to make these fantasy worlds more than just mere words on the page creates a deeper story line and more enriching picture. The fashion takes risks to emphasize the good and evil inherent in all of the dwarves, fairies, and princes alike. We aren’t kids anymore, and the plot lines of these films and shows reflect that. Happily ever after has a whole new meaning. 

Hey Collegiettes! I'm Alicia and a senior here at Emerson College. I created my own major called Magazine Studies, incorporating the fields of journalism, publishing and marketing. I want to be a magazine journalist after college, ideally at a mag like Seventeen! I love writing profiles, reviews and about anything television and movies. I'm a sister of Sigma Pi Theta and Co-President of Emerson's community service group, Imagine. 
Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.