Style > Beauty

Everything You Need to Know About Acrylic Nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Courtesy of Instagram @bellahadid

Celebrities all over Instagram are sporting long, colorful nails, and we’ve got to know; what’s the deal with acrylics?

There are many different types of fake nails, but it seems the most popular right now are acrylics. Acrylic nails involve gluing an extension “nail” onto your real nail and covering it with a combination of a liquid monomer and powder polymer. This combination creates a hard layer over the nail. Acrylic nails can be shaped similarly to any normal nail; coffin, almond, stiletto square, etc. Nail polish and decorations of your choosing can then be applied over the hardened surface. 

Courtesy of Pinterest

In the process of applying acrylic nails, there is a lot of buffing, filing, and dehydration of your actual nail bed. This will cause your natural nails to become thinner during the time you have acrylics, however, they will return back to a healthy state after removal. There is nothing one can do to avoid this slight damaging effect. If you are really concerned about this, gel nails may be a better alternative. Gel nails are very similar to acrylic, except they are more flexible and do not last as long. This makes them slightly less damaging to your nail beds. 

Courtesy of Instagram @justineskye

The biggest issue with acrylics is that they require constant upkeep from application until removal. Acrylics tend to cause the nail cuticle to dry out, so you will want to invest in a cuticle oil. This can range from $5 to $10 on Amazon.

Acrylics need to be kept clean and dry to prevent bacterial infections. Nail technicians will tell you to keep them out of the water as much as possible. Many people wear latex gloves in doing household chores, or even showering. If you go swimming or fully submerge them, water can get under the acrylic nail and can create health problems if the water does not evaporate. 

Courtesy of Instagram @iamcardib

Because acrylics are attached to your real nail, they will grow out as your real nail grows. This will create a gap between the acrylic and your cuticle, which will need to be filled in. Most people get their acrylics filled every three to four weeks, which costs around $25 to $30 at a nail salon. During this appointment you can also change the shape, color, and size of your nails. 

Getting a full acrylic set ranges from $50 to $65, so it’s up to the individual to determine if acrylics are a worthwhile investment. But for most, the money and upkeep pay off in waking up with beautiful nails. 

Alex Brooke

Emerson '23

I am a creative writing major from VT! I'm also a certified scuba diver and overall ocean nerd, so it's an interesting blend of writing and marine biology.
Emerson contributor