Episode Recap: ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ S14E2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

*SPOILER ALERT*

If you haven’t watched the season premiere of Season 14 of ‘Grey’s Anatomy,’ check out my summary of it here before reading this recap for episode 2.  Seriously.  I’m going to tell you exactly what happens, but if you missed last week’s recap I recommend reading that first because you missed a lot of stuff. Okay? Cool, let’s jump into episode 2.

The episode opens with Amelia obsessing over her brain scans, a week after the diagnosis.  She (reluctantly) calls in the man who trained her in order to help with the tumor.  He tells her that she is not of sound mind and that she hasn’t been for years, which could explain Amelia’s impulsive actions over the past few seasons.  Deluca tries to tell Maggie about Amelia’s tumor, but Maggie brushes it off as an apology for their relationship.  Amelia asks Deluca to pull all of her old charts so she can go over them.  The man who trained her told Deluca that he can’t because Amelia is not of sound mind.  Webber tries to open up to Amelia but she just brushes the story of his tumor off because of how small it was.  Webber looks over Amelia’s charts and figures out that her death rate is lower than Derek’s was.  He advises that she should tell the people who care about her because if she doesn’t she is just hurting them.  Amelia tells Maggie about the tumor and that she is having it removed.  She tells Maggie that Meredith and Owen don’t know about the tumor and that she needs help telling Owen and Meredith.  Amelia finally tells Owen and Maggie tells Meredith that Amelia is having surgery to remove the tumor.

Megan is recovering fast according to Avery.  Megan thinks that Riggs should be with Meredith which is why she declined his proposal.  She just wants to get back to her son.

Avery’s grandfather, THE Harper Avery, arrives at Grey Sloan. Harper Avery is rude to both Catherine and Bailey, telling them that women ruin things when they are in charge.  Harper Avery decides that he wants to pull the foundation out of the funding of the hospital.  Bailey tries to defend her decisions since being in charge of the hospital and thinks that the foundation pulling out will create a PR nightmare.  Harper Avery agrees, but fires Bailey on the spot as a condition for the hospital keeping its funding.  Bailey decides to go back into the room to fight for her position back, but when she and Catherine went back into the room, they saw that he was dead.  Bailey, Jackson, and Catherine give a presentation that reinstates Bailey and says that Harper Avery thought the hospital was going great in order to cover themselves.

Meredith is cold to Riggs, and seems to be in a mood.  She is also cold to any other employee that is working with Riggs as well.  Riggs’ patient is Meredith’s old therapist, and they talk about how Meredith is always stuck in a love triangle.  Meredith is angry with Riggs, and in telling the therapist about why she is angry, Meredith explains to her therapist why she fell for Riggs in the first place.  While speaking with the therapist, he goes into cardiac distress and is rushed to surgery.  He pulls through and Meredith gives him his wedding ring back, because he has continued to wear it since his wife passed away.  Meredith goes to talk to Riggs and realizes that he is taking time off.  She tells him that she feels angry because he got Megan back but she can never have Derek back.  Riggs tells Meredith that he is in love with her, not Megan, and that he is confused about what he should do.  Meredith tells him to make Megan fall in love with him again because his dream to get her back came true and if she had that chance, she would have taken it as well.

Ben gets assigned to the case of a pregnant woman and Deluca’s sister steps in to help.  Arizona declined Carina’s offer because she didn’t believe that they should go about it that way.  They bring the idea of a C-section to the expectant mother, and the mother declines.  Arizona and Ben realize that Deluca’s sister’s suggestion might be the only option for the mother.  They advise the mother, and she is able to give birth to the baby.

April and Alex work on a high school student who was injured during his homecoming proposal to a member of the Track and Field team.  She and April have a heart to heart after she tells April that she was going to say no to the proposal.  After their conversation, the girl tells him that she will go to Homecoming with him.

And your favorite part, let’s take a look at the breakdown of all the relationships Shonda keeps throwing at us:

Meredith and Riggs

To be totally honest, it looks like it’s over.  I know, I’m sad too.  I wouldn’t rule out a twist of events, because after all it is is Shonda Rhimes, but unfortunately for all of you who support Mer and Riggs, it looks like we’re just going to have to keep dreaming.  

Megan and Riggs

Their relationship wasn’t touched on too much this week, but Megan did tell Owen that she wants Riggs to be with Meredith.  She said it was because she had been kept away from the people she loved for so long, and that he shouldn’t have to be kept away from Meredith any longer.  She wants him to be happy, which is really sweet of her, but in terms of where they’re heading, your guess is as good as mine.

Owen and Amelia

Definitely not in a great place, but after finding out about the tumor, I think their relationship might improve.  It’s possible after it is removed that Amelia will stop making such impulsive choices and they’ll be able to work on their relationship, but only time will tell on this one.  

Owen and Teddy

Owen is definitely torn, but after finding out about the tumor, I’m not too sure if he would leave Amelia.  Owen seems like too much of a nice guy for that, and a “make the situation ork” guy.  I think he’s staying, as sad as that makes me because I think he and Teddy are meant to be together.  

Alex and Jo

The elevator makes its triumphant return with a classic ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ make out in the elevator scene.  I smell a romance rekindling (I am very happy about this so Shonda better not take my happiness away).  And, later in the episode, Jo asks Alex to come back home to their apartment.  My heart is so happy because I love #Jolex more than anything :)

Jo and Deluca

Definitely no romantic connection, but their friendship might be salvageable.  We’ll see what the future brings for them.  

Jackson and April

I truly think this is over, sorry #Japril fans, but maybe at this point, it’s happening for the best (Jackson and Maggie, #sorrynotsorry).  

Jackson and Maggie

Some awkward coat fixing?  Very romantic, and there is definitely lots of tension between the two, but nothing more on their relationship as it stands.  Eventually we’ll find out if these two get together.

Arizona and Carina

Still just hooking up as far as I can tell, but if you ask me, these two are heading for something more involved. I’m not sure quite how long it will take, and of course we can’t account for any Shonda twists at the moment, but hopefully Arizona can be happy because lets face it, she hasn’t had a great track record so far and I think she really deserves it after so long.

Now that I’ve got you caught up, you’ll be able to watch next week’s episode without feeling like you missed anything (hopefully).  I hope you enjoyed this recreation of the second episode of season 14, as well as my personal comments!  Tune in next week for my recap of season 14 episode 3!

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.
Emerson contributor