This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Maybe you’re not so great at DIY projects. Your no-sew dress ends up looking like a potato sack, and the wooden initial letters you spent three hours turn out to just be embarrassing. As a poor college student, you don’t have access to a bunch of fancy crafting tools and supplies; in fact may not even know what Mod Podge is. The only thing you are certain of is that Pinterest is trying to mock you with all these “super easy DIY” project ideas, because honestly they’re the complete opposite of that. All you want is to be like Erica Domesek, of P.S.- I made this…,but you’ve come to the realization that crafting is simply not in your DNA.

It doesn’t have to be this way, though. There is a new kind of crafting technique on the market and it’s becoming really popular for DIY experts and newbies alike. If you haven’t heard of washi tape before then you’re in for a treat. Read on to learn more about this unique crafting tape, but use caution because you’ll most likely become obsessed!

Washi tape is a Japanese paper tape that comes in a variety of patterns, colors, and widths. Depending on the brand you buy, it can sometimes be as strong as masking tape or even duct tape. It’s usually made of rice, bamboo, hemp, wheat, or fibers from the bark on the Japanese gampi tree. Did we mention that it’s pretty? Seriously, you can find washi tape in any design you want. This makes it super versatile because it’s easy to match up with your personality or to customize patterns for a gift. You can usually get washi tape from crafting stores such as Michaels or JoAnn’s, but you can also order them online on Etsy or Amazon.

Think of it as the lazy-girl’s crafting trick. Washi tape projects are so easy yet the results are surprisingly impressive. You can use it to decorate, customize, and enhance everyday objects. While there are literally hundreds of projects you can do using washi tape, in the next few pages we’ve listed a few of our favorites. Contine reading and then get your craft on!

[pagebreak]

Washi Tape Phone Charger

Wrap your phone charger in washi tape to give it a personal flair. Plus, if you do this, then you won’t get it mixed up with your family’s or roommate’s. You can also wrap your laptop charger in washi tape—bonus points if you make it match your case!

Washi Tape Bulletin Board

Skip the boring, plain bulletin board and give yours a washi tape makeover! Buy some simple, flat push pins and washi tape those too! Now you have a darling place to pin all your memories or reminder notes.

Washi Tape Smash Book/Journal

It would be a lot of hard work to tape all the edges of your journal pages with washi tape but the unique look is so worth it. You could also do this to a dull planner to jazz it up! Another option would be to washi tape the cover of your notebooks. Any of these ideas would make note taking or list making a lot more fun.

Washi Tape Pen Holder or Make Up Brush Holder

Ideally you would first grab some friends, make tomato soup and grilled cheese, and then clean out the soup can in order to complete this craft. (Or that could just be me.) You can skip the food because doing this to a Mason jar or vase would work just as well. Within a few minutes you’d have a fabulous pen or make up brush holder. For the vase, stick a pretty bouquet of flowers in it!

[pagebreak]

Washi Tape Wrapping Paper

Get plain wrapping paper or even just a brown paper bag for this one. Wrap the gift as you normally would and then washi tape a cute design. This is idea is perfect for the approaching holiday season or even just as a way to customize a gift even further.

Washi Tape Frames

This is a fun way to highlight posters or photos on your walls. It sure beats buying a bulky frame and then having to damage your walls to hang it up.

Washi Tape Magnets

Use old magnets to complete this craft, that way you don’t have to go out and buy plain ones. Cover the magnets in washi tape, cut out a tape-like design and there you have it: cute washi tape, tape magnets for hanging up your photos. Tape-ception.

As you can tell by all of those ideas, it’s pretty obvious that this awesome crafting technique is here to stick around. (Ha, sorry, couldn’t resist). You can check out more fun washi tape ideas here or by doing a quick search on Pinterest.

Which washi tape project are you dying to try? Let us know in the comments below or by tweeting us @hcemerson.

Cassidy is a Digital Production intern at Her Campus. She's currently a junior studying journalism at Emerson College. Cassidy also is a freelance reporter at the Napa Valley Register and a staff writer at Her Campus Emerson. Previously she blogged for Seventeen Magazine at the London 2012 Olympics, wrote for Huffington Post as a teen blogger and was a Team Advisor at the National Student Leadership Conference on Journalism, Film, & Media Arts at University of California, Berkeley and American University in Washington, D.C.. When she's not uploading content to Her Campus or working on her next article, Cassidy can be found planning her next adventure or perfecting her next Instagram. Follow her on Twitter at @cassidyyjayne and @cassidyjhopkins.  
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop