Dear Freshmen: How to Deal with an Incompatible Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

No matter if you chose your roommate (or suitemates), or if you were randomly placed together – sharing your space can be difficult. Some people have shared their bedroom with their siblings or have had their own room up until college. But moving and sharing a space with someone that isn’t your sibling is different. You have no idea what they’re like or how they live, no matter what the housing quiz tells you.

Some people get lucky and room with someone who ends up being their best friend. But, others have clashing personalities or different lifestyles. You can only avoid your dorm room and your roommate for so long. If you’re having issues, we have some solutions.

Communicate. If something your roommate is doing bothers you, talk it out. Nothing is worse than being passive-aggressive. Sticky notes are not a good idea. The silent treatment will only make things worse. Talking about your issues can bring resolution. It might even bring up miscommunication from previous encounters.

If talking out your issues doesn’t work and the situation is getting worse, bring it up with your RA. Your RA is there to help you out, so don’t be nervous. See if they can help make a Roommate Contract that can make your living situation easier. This contract will help you sort out different rules that you both will follow for the year.

If you are having serious issues, talk to your RA and Housing to see if there is a chance for you to move into a different room. Living in an environment that gives you stress or negative emotions is unhealthy. This is your final option, but make sure to try to communicate and work things out first.

Katelyn is a senior studying Marketing Communications and Journalism at Emerson College. She is involved with various marketing groups on campus and hopes to work in the entertainment or sports marketing industry. She spent a semester in Valencia, Spain and can be found at a Red Sox or Bruins game more often than not. You can find Katelyn on Twitter at @katelyngearan or @katelyn_gearan.
Emerson contributor